Why me??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Why me???

If you've ever read a thread from me about a simple procedure I've done, it never seems simple.

So I got the new exhaust gaskets on Saturday, and figured it's only in the mid 80's this morning, might as well put them on while it's cool.

Notice the drain line from the main air box is off. Also notice I can't my fingers in there without taking off the right air cleaner. Easy enough.

Go to take off the top bolt holding the air cleaner on, it breaks off. Sigh and think to myself, it's probably the worst thing that can happen. After getting the parts off, and fighting to get the hose back on, I give in. Ok, so I'm guessing this is a drain if water gets in the air box. Also notice there's a small foam filter inside the air box. Which I just knocked off and no longer stays in place. Finally decide I'd rather have water than what ever I could pull up through that hose, and into the carbs. 15 minutes getting a self tap screw in to place. Go ahead and change the exhaust gaskets on both cylinders, even though just the front was leaking. Oddly enough that goes fine.

Back to the broken bolt. Drill it out and spend another 15 minutes trying to remember where my easy out is. Find it. Doesn't work. Drill out, and knock out what was left of the original bolt. Looks like I'll be able to keep the original size, just need to retap it.

Go to the only hardware store open today. No black bolts, which I expected. Only have a thread pitch of 1.00, not the original pitch. If I don't fix this, I can't ride today, or more importantly, tomorrow to work. Get the 1.00 bolt and retap to that thread size.

Get it back together and realize a 15 minute job just took me 1 1/2hours.

Get back inside, and the wife tells me she's talked to my mom. Tells her I'm out working on the bike. Again. Dad had 5 goldwings, and mom says to get used to it.

I've been married for almost 20 years and had the Vulcan for 3. Why is it I understand the bike???

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 AM

My rule of thumb is...one woman will always have a mind of her own...which you can occasionally reason with...not often, but sometimes.

If there's two women..and ESPECIALLY if one of them is your mother...you can just hang it up buddy! No way you'll win or even understand the logic...just walk away and try not to let them hear you mutter too much...LOL!

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Women are the one thing I don't even try to understand. Been married almost 30 years.

I would say its time for another beer.

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement