Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Love it or Leave it

Send a message via Yahoo to ssmendez
Carb Leak this morning

This morning I woke up to gas all over my garage.I think its leaking from the choke plunger.Can you just unscrew the plunger and inspect it? or do you have to remove the entire carb assembly? Please help.Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

What year is your bike? Does your petcock have a PRI setting? I would first check the petcock because it is suppose to be vacume activated and if working properly, would not let much gas onto the garage floor.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Love it or Leave it

Its an '86

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 10:28 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

That doesn't sound good.
Never had any fuel leaking issues on my Vulcan, but my KLX had leaked from around the petcock nipple for the tank side fuel line. Not sure why, it leaked one night, but has been fine since.

Maybe a float was sticking on yours. But, if like Loran said, it's vacuum operated, hmm, I don't know.
Hope ya get it figured out.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 PM

I have an '86, and just had the same issue with fuel all over the place. Check the floats. In my case, my mechanic said that the previous owner of my bike replaced one of the fuel lines with inferior hose...they deteriorated and a small chunk got lodged in the float valves.

Last edited by fortygeek; 07-05-2006 at 10:40 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Search Goddess

Just as an FYI, an 86 has PRI for Prime on the Petcock setting instead of the Off indicator. Which is why Loran asked the year.
Prime lets the gas flow freely.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to DachWuff
Ack that sucks. Had similar with my old KZ440. Would leak gas due to shotty floats, and then it started leaking gas out of the carb bowl. Nothing like riding with wind in your jacket, and gas on your leg. After many many atempts to get gaskets to work, and re surfacing the aluminum, i just permatexed a 'gasket' no leak now. =D But DONT do that with yours, just an anicdote. Check your petcock settings to make sure you weren't in Pri. and perhaps if you were not in Pri and it's still flowing freely would need a petcock rebuild, or a new one. That would help the gas flowing so freely, and probably a bowl over flowing caused all that gas spillage. Do be carful starting it, might be alot of gas in the jugs, don't want to hydro lock.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Love it or Leave it

It quit leaking but still problems

I dont know why it leaked.Maybe kids played with it.Now,it starts,but seems like something is still wrong.When I rev it up,it stays reved up for a few seconds before idling down.Sometimes it is ok to ride for a few miles,then when I am in low rpms,it starts acting like only part of one carb is working.It hardly has any power and wants to die.I think its in the carbs.Duh!But I really hate to take them off.My local Kawasaki dealer said they could rebuild the carbs and adjust the valves for only $500-$600. They are out of their minds.With the price of gas and utilities and raising 3 kids,I cant afford to pay attention.I know its probably a stuck float or a piece of sludge blocking a port or jet or something really stupid.I have been reading the manual,and think I am more than capable of handling it.Where is the pilot screw? Is it possible to take off the bottom plate/drain screw cover to expose the jets without pulling the carbs off the bike?Thanks, Steve
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 01:02 AM

Get the old manual out, start looking at carb break down (assembly). After a few days of looking at them and parts take them off slowly, remembering as much as posssible. Have fire bottle handy, and a good clean place to diss assemble.Go here http://dansmc.com/index.htm and get after it. When you get them back together and running you will be glad you did it yourself. Plus the money saved. Hiring a mechanic is not always the solution and is somewhat a gamble. You will always do (or try to) a better job on your own bike than someone else will.Watch the rubber stuff and try to protect them from harmful fluids. Float valves is always a good place to start with inspection etc. Adios and good luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Love it or Leave it

Thank you my friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement