running on 1 cylinder, fuel coming out of exhaust manifold - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to wesson123970
running on 1 cylinder, fuel coming out of exhaust manifold

i'm new to the site. i couldn't find a search feature to look for a solution on the site.
anyway. i took a ride about a week and a half ago on my 93 vulcan 750. it's all stock, w/ 40k miles. bike did fine.
i changed my back tire(took wheel off, took to dealer)and put it back on. only a week had gone by....i fired it up and it was only running on 1 cylinder. could hardly get it to stay running and ran really rough. i determined was on 1 cyl by feeling the plugs. my rear cylinder plugs were way warmer than the front.also, all plugs were somewhat flooded..but the front were dripping wet!
i confirmed i had fire on all 4 plugs(turned engine over w/ plugs grounded to engine).
i had noticed was getting some 'drops' of fuel on floor when cranked and ran engine. tonight i found it was coming from the front cylinder's exhaust manifold...the pipe for that cylinder has been smoking really bad too from the fuel(found this in the several times i've had the bike cranked to tinker w/ it).
anyone have idea what my problem could be?

the carbs actually havent been synched since 2000! I'm pretty sure it was needing that done.....but surely that can't be causing what it's doing now. just 2 weeks ago it was still a joy to ride...as responsive as ever.if anyone has a clue, i'm all ears!!

thanks

Wes King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

guys...i forgot to mention that i had thought it was a sticking float (and maybe it is??). i cut fuel tap off and drained both carbs...then tapped them pretty good to try to release the float if was stuck. no luck there...is this my problem?...stuck float?

i left gas off the other night and i cranked the bike immediately after turning gas on tonight and it seemed like it was running on both cylinders for 3-5 secs...then caput....is this because carb filled up and begain flooding engine?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM

When were the carbs last cleaned? If you can get it running at all run some Seafoam through the tank and beat the hell out of it for 50 miles or so. If you don't hear or feel the cylinder firing after awhile let it sit overnight. It might help putting the Seafoam directly into the carb as well (removing the gas lines and pouring the Seafoam directly into the lines) .... other than that all I can say is that it's a bitch of a job to pull the carbs but once you get the hang of it it's not terrible, and it's probably knowledge you'll value having learned somewhere down the road. It could be a stuck float, although I feel like you'd be experiencing a lot more of a fuel leak if that was the case, however, it could be partially stuck. I had a similar problem recently and an eventual carb rebuild solved my problems.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks vulcanpower.
i'm not sure i can ride it as weak as it is...and me as big as i am(275lbs) but i'll try that...may go ahead and pour directly in.
the carbs haven't been cleaned since 2000 either!
was actually my dad's bike..he left it to me when he passed in 2001. i rode it a lot the first couple of years, but since getting married a few years ago, i only ever ride the local backroads on sat or sun afternoons.

i did have to have the pickups and/or stator replaced? a few years ago....cost me $800!....shop had to pull the engine to do it...my headlights went completely out shortly after i noticed a small leak around the left side of engine around wiring harness.....actually i'm noticing that same tell-tale oil on the wiring harness again...i think the shop needed to replace a seal or something that they didnt!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
you are at the right site, hang tight and help will be here soon but I am not a carb guru yet.
did you lube your splines when you changed the rear tire, if not look for the spline lube procedure and yank the tire back off and do it, some models came with no lube or very little and it is an easy procedure that will save you big headaches and money down the road.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
did you lube your splines when you changed the rear tire, if not look for the spline lube procedure and yank the tire back off and do it, some models came with no lube or very little and it is an easy procedure that will save you big headaches and money down the road.
This is a "sticky" thread that stays at the top of of the Transmission / Rear End forum.
fergy`s spline lube link:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

Make sure you read up to post #44 where wib714 does an additional photo write-up of cleaning and lubing the final drive to wheel connection, along with the inside of the hub containing the 7 armed "spider" rubber wheel damper.

We all somehow missed including this part of the rear spline lube until a few weeks ago.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-23-2011 at 11:10 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you want to add Sea Foam directly to the carbs, drain the gas out first. You probably knew that, but thought I'd mention it. Leave the straight Sea Foam in it for at least a couple of days before draining it out. Longer won't hurt. I found a syringe works well for this. Get used ones free from my vet.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

"seafoaming" the carbs

guys,

i'm planning to try the seafoam this weekend sometime.
i keep thinking about the fact that gas pours out of exhaust header on that cylinder and plugs r flooded.
it can still be dirty carb issue?....even tho it's getting gas? is that because it may not be getting the right gas/air mixture? that makes sense.
i'm no expert mechanic by any means!
let me know if this is making sense still?

thanks guys for all the info.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:09 PM

I have a question, Is fuel constantly dripping from the exaust. Or only when its engine is running, and then maybe dripping shortly after then stopping? The reason im asking, if the bike is not running fuel should not be getting to the carbs from the fuel tank. Only when a vacuum is present at the fuel tank petcock ( I believe its the center hose) would the tank be suppling fuel to the carbs. Just thought I would throw that in the mix here. Also I do believe there is seafoam available in a spray can with a spray tube just like WD-40
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

fuel's just coming out of header when bike is running.
yeah, i saw the foam today in both a spray and pourable bottle. went ahead and got the pour-type bottle...cuz the spray was saying it was for cleaning via intake plate i think. i prob should have gotten the spray. i could have shot some right in the fuel lines going to carbs...i was afraid was different formula or something, though i'm sure it probably wasnt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement