Average MPG.....after earshave and rejet? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Average MPG.....after earshave and rejet?

I did the 40 / 140 rejet and earshave with uni filters. I am getting 40 to 50 mpg....(depending on how hard or fast I ride)....which to me is good for a engine of this design with the mods I have done. I was just curious as what other earshaved/rejetted vn750's were getting? My bike is getting double the mileage that my 4 cyl. S-10 gets .....so I am pleased...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
For an earshaved and rejected bike, your figures are real good, be happy, go for ride, THEN have a few beers to celebrate....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Thanks Knifemaker.......those figures seemed pretty good to me too.....I was just curious......I would go ride again today...but I got way too sunburned at the Indy 500 yesterday ...so my face hates the sun right now.....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I can say I average around 42 mpg with the larger front tire.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 AM

That's one of my major motivators for rebuilding my bike...my '85 Chevy Silverado with rebuilt 305 gets about 12-14 mpg if I stay off the pedal. On the bike..I might actually be able to afford to drive to town and back more than once a week...LOL!

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Yeah.....basically if I ride it like I stole it.......I get 40 MPG......If I grandpa it around town......I get 50 MPG ( please no offense to any grandpa's) ....so backroads doing 45-50 mph...I get 50 MPG. Highway doing 75-85 mph....I get 40 MPG. I did one test where I never let the revs get over 4,500rpm......shifting through the gears......then on the highway I held 5th gear at 4,500 (equals about 65 mph) .....my gas mileage was a solid 46 MPG at fill-up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRET H View Post
Yeah.....basically if I ride it like I stole it.......I get 40 MPG......If I grandpa it around town......I get 50 MPG ( please no offense to any grandpa's) ....so backroads doing 45-50 mph...I get 50 MPG. Highway doing 75-85 mph....I get 40 MPG. I did one test where I never let the revs get over 4,500rpm......shifting through the gears......then on the highway I held 5th gear at 4,500 (equals about 65 mph) .....my gas mileage was a solid 46 MPG at fill-up.
Bret,
Seems high to me....are you still running stock tires?

Last edited by VoIPDoc; 05-31-2011 at 08:49 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRET H View Post
I was fixin to get Old Dog on you until I saw your disclaimer. lol

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Git-R-Done!

I guess I must ride mine like I stole it all the time, because I most often average between 40-42 mpg. I am guessing that those who get 45+ don't ever get the RPM's above 4500, like niterider said.

IMHO though, I don't think it would be good to ride too long without ever winding it up a little bit. These bikes, as most motorcycles, were made to run at higher revs, and I couldn't imagine never getting above 4500 RPM's.

That being said, if you are getting 50mpg, more power (or less actually - haha) to you : ) I guess I do like to have a bit of 'fun' on mine, and for some strange reason, I feel that my bike compels me to rip it a little every now and then! Lol

Ride safe all.

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Yes....still running stock size tires. I only did the 4500 rpm test just to see what kind of conservative fuel mileage I could get. I never really ride it that way. I rev my engine out most of the time. It is good to rev these engines up. I think the elevation and heat is what is killing your mileage in the southwest U.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement