Single Filter Ear Shave w/ K&N RC-3240 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Single Filter Ear Shave w/ K&N RC-3240

Finally got my parts in and decided to take yesterday off to play with the V. Started Thurs. evening really & got most of the work done, but the agenda was finishing the ear shave using the short K&N single filter element.

Ended up slicing/melting the airbox into a top half & bottom half with a razor blade clamped in my vise grips. Whoever suggested the "hot knife" method - thanks! I started playing with a hack saw blade, but that was a futile effort...

Put little chrome breather from Autozone/Oreillys for the crank breather attached with a 3/4" to 1/2" brass plumbing adapter from Lowes. I slid the hose clamp on the breather down just a tiny bit to cover up the visible ring of brass separating the two bits and it's invisible now. For the time being, it's just hanging where Ma Kaw put it, but I'll likely fab some sort of stay for it eventually.

The rubber carb ducts got the flanges ground down / off. The rear one needed trimmed off a little to let the filter drop down low enough for tank clearance. For the duct to filter connection, I got a $3 2" exhaust connector and chopped in in half. The connector tubes are clamped into the K&N, and then pressed into the carb ducts. I should probably clamp these connections too, but they're on tight and I had a heck of a time getting the filter back off on Friday morning after sitting from Thursday night, so I'm not too worried about leaks there. The tank will "squish" down to it's original position like this, but I have about 3/8" of spacers under the rear tank bolt to give everything a little breathing room.

Last noteworthy item is on the rear cylinder water hose. I didn't touch the pipe coming from the thermostat housing, but I did chop about 1.25" off the metal pipe coming from the top of the rear head. This let the hose fit inside the frame rail and relieve pressure to the pipe-to-head junction.

Jetting out of the box is 140 for the mains & 40 pilots @ 2.5 turns out. Plugs are half tan, half brown & look about perfect after about 20 miles on her.

Pics of the pretty parts...

Sides:

Top view, you can see how the rear cylinder water hose fits inside the frame rail now:

From below, you can barely make out the exhaust pipe connections:

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM

That's pretty cool, thanks for posting this! Been looking for a cheaper way to do the earshave lol. I already have the jets and shims, just need to get the filter(s). I'll probably end up doing it your way when I do it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM

oh and where did you get the 2" exhaust connector? Got any pics of it before you put it in?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the exhaust connector from Oreilly's, but Autozone has them as well. No pic, but it's just a straight walled 4" long 2" ID connector. Would have preferred the 2" OD connector, but that's what they had...

Here's the parts list & prices, for the most part:

Coasters 31.95 Sherms/Mobbley.com
Vacuum Cap 0 Reuse old hose w/ bolt
Breather 12.87 Oreilly Auto
K&N RC-3240 35.82 AJUSA.com
Brass Adapter 1.84 Lowes
2" Exh. pipe 3 Oreilly Auto
138 Mains 5.10 actionmotorsportswy.com
140 Mains 5.10 actionmotorsportswy.com
40 Pilots 12.05 actionmotorsportswy.com
Needle Shims 0 Use existing Radio Shack #4 washers

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.

Last edited by abyssdncr; 05-28-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Damn table formatting...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:36 PM

cool, thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I've had mine like this since last year. I love it. The only difference I might suggest is using PVC pipe over the Muffler pipe. The only concern is long term rust possibly getting into the carbs.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Put another 50 or so miles on her this morning. She's been feeling a bit sluggish and fat lately. Healthy mind you but a little on the chubby side. Better too chubby than too lean for sure, but there is this middle ground that's "just right"...right? So I put her on a diet and dropped to 137.5 mains today after the ride. She's definitely peppier than with the 140s. Now she's got some spunk too!

Pilots now at 2.75 out and I think we may have a winner with this concoction...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I've been thinking about going back to the 138 mains I had in it. You've convinced me I need to try it with the 40's. Sounds like you have a good combination there. After all, this is a new set up to everyone. When I was at the poker run in the hills, I was asked "where's your air filter?" lol Up under the tank.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
knees in the breeze!!!

loving this idea !!!!! will be on the off season to do list!!

http://map.vulcan750.net/

VROC# 33976
1994 VN750

MODS SO FAR:
honda shadow 750 sissybar
ear shaved, K&N pods
142/42 jets, Cobra pipes
oversized tires, vn800 seat
vn750 rad cover, Tank bib
custom mirrors, gel battery
led dash lights, led tail light
led plate light, chrome levers
horn relocation, custom voltmeter
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:36 PM

Definitely like it. Since I'll ride rain or shine I like the idea of it being up where the rain can't get to it as easy as the duel small filters.

Now just need to wait till it's not 100 outside to get motivated.

Possibly December here?

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement