Carb & choke issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

Carb & choke issues

After seeing my bike in action and up close over time, my older brother finally is smitten and gets a VN750 himself.

I would post pix, but his bike is also an '05 (like mine), and we all know what an '05 looks like (I hope). Besides, he has yet to really "farkle" his bike (he's ordering a windshield, etc...shortly).

The bike had about 4,500 miles on it when older brother bought it.

If anything, the engine is a bit smoother than mine, so he definitely did not end up with a lemon. From a standing start, with the engine warmed up, it accelerates strong and smooth, and makes all the right noises you'd expect from our bike. BUT....

a) during warm up, I have to hold the choke lever to keep it at a given location for the bike to idle up. The choke lever will not hold a position on its own;

b) until the engine is really hot, the bike will not "idle down" when the throttle is released;

c) the idle speed seems to be all over the place--I keep having to adjust it;

and last, but definitely not least...

d) in 5th gear, between 60-70 mph, if I try to accelerate with more throttle (without downshifting) the bike does not really pick up speed. Instead, there's a bit of hesitation and/or stumble.

Clearly, he's having choke/carb issues. Also: all the above occurs after the bike has sat for over a week with Chemtool B-12 in both the fuel tank and the carbs (mixed in with gas that is, per the Chemtool instructions).

I thought maybe any carb gurus out there might like to offer some suggestions on a cure for the above problems. I don't have any carb experience on this bike (obviously).

Otherwise, have a great holiday weekend--and a safe summer riding season.........!

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 AM

on the throttle control (grip) you should have two cables for a pull-pull setup:

I wonder if the linkages on the carb are binding or the throttle return spring has slipped off or (surely not) broken. If you power up, give it gas, then roll the throttle forward till it stops (close the throttle) does it return to a repeatable idle speed every time?.....as in don't rely on the spring to close the throttle but actually close it yourself.

Also, through the throttle, do you feel and catches, or crunchy-ness to it? One of the little nylon washers on my carb linkage was missing and it had symptoms similar to what you said..... and worse a buddy rode it, hammered the throttle and it stuck WOT on him. There are tiny nylon washers and even smaller wire pins that hold this stuff together.

1992 VN750 dark blue / black - stock
Cobra exhaust
Oversized front tire to correct speedo & improve handling
New stator and Vreg 4/11
Sealed battery
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 11:48 AM

I don't have any ideas on the choke. That's bizarre. Our choke lever on the carb is spring returned but the drag inside the cable is more than enough to hold it, so ummmm, maybe you chock cable is super lubed?? HAHA!

1992 VN750 dark blue / black - stock
Cobra exhaust
Oversized front tire to correct speedo & improve handling
New stator and Vreg 4/11
Sealed battery

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 PM

A) take apart the switch you are prolly missing the spring and plastic piece that pushes against the choke lever

B)throttle cables lube them or get new ones from motion pro also open that switch and make sure cable isnt binding.

C)make sure spring is still on idle adjuster

D)sounds like a clogged jet clean carbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement