Ear Shave Procedure - Enjoy! - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 338 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Garage
Most all fuels here in Bama say " Up 10% ethanol fuel" on the pumps. All the signs at stores here around my home that say "100 percent gasoline" want run in my tractor. Trash and water from it stop up my fuel/water bowl.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 05-22-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 338 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Excellent write-up. Book marked to favorites for future use.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #23 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:21 PM

awesome document and bible vrs in your quote!!! Gunna attempt this eventually. How long does it take? What level of mechanic do you need to be to do this? I'm not much of one...

post #24 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereopath View Post
awesome document and bible vrs in your quote!!! Gunna attempt this eventually. How long does it take? What level of mechanic do you need to be to do this? I'm not much of one...
Thanks!

Getting the surge tank out will take the longest time...an hour or so. Rest is as easy as documented.
Good luck.
post #25 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I got started on my shave and then ended up pulling the engine to re-seat the valves, etc., etc. - kinda got stuck there and am slowly getting back to completing the work. Maybe I read your awesome write-up too quickly, but can you tell me again what I need to use for the crankcase breather? I think I bought a pod filter for that as well, but am beginning to think that isn't the right approach (also have two sets of carbs sitting in the garage and can't remember which one was adjusted for the shave...argh...gotta go look for spacers ).

C
post #26 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
I got started on my shave and then ended up pulling the engine to re-seat the valves, etc., etc. - kinda got stuck there and am slowly getting back to completing the work. Maybe I read your awesome write-up too quickly, but can you tell me again what I need to use for the crankcase breather? I think I bought a pod filter for that as well, but am beginning to think that isn't the right approach (also have two sets of carbs sitting in the garage and can't remember which one was adjusted for the shave...argh...gotta go look for spacers ).
If you check his parts list at the begining you wil find he used two of these:
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...tCode=14-20900

One for the crankcase breather and one for the carb vent.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #27 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
If you check his parts list at the begining you wil find he used two of these:
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...tCode=14-20900

One for the crankcase breather and one for the carb vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Gordon is right...
Cindy look at the procedure again....I used the original CC breather hose and inserted about 4 inches of 3/8" fuel hose into the breather hose and clamped it. Other end of fuel hose connects to Emgo filter. Double click pics on the blog and they will enlarge for clarity.
BTW: According to the manual, the crankcase breather lets crankcase gases out not fresh air in.
Determining the right carb should be easy....simply take the bottom cover off and look at the marking on the side of the slow jet....original jet will be 38...new will be 40 or 42 or whatever was installed. PM an address and I'll send you my extra shims. I'm also close enuff to lend a hand if needed.

Last edited by VoIPDoc; 07-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
post #28 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:28 AM

I did mine same as above. Then on the carb vent I slid a short piece of that hose "over" the end of the carb hose, then onto the breather on the other side.

I didn't cut my surge tank in half all the way either. I just cut the bottom edge and sides of that 90 degree bend so that the front over hang portion could "flex" up/straight easily as I pulled it straight out the back of the frame. I also took and old screwdriver and hammer and smacked the top of the tank just next to the thermostat housing which put a big crack along the top of it, allowing the sides to flex in a bit which made sliding it out even easier.

(I also have several extra shims if anybody needs a couple, send a PM with an address.)
post #29 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
I didn't cut my surge tank in half all the way either. I just cut the bottom edge and sides of that 90 degree bend so that the front over hang portion could "flex" up/straight easily as I pulled it straight out the back of the frame. I also took and old screwdriver and hammer and smacked the top of the surge tank just next to the thermostat housing which put a big crack along the top of it, allowing the sides to flex in a bit which made sliding it out even easier.
Now you tell me!

Good idea
post #30 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Now you tell me!

Good idea
LOL, it was a plan born out of "necessity" I guess, because I started out with the intention of cutting it in half like you did. As I started my cut from the bottom up with a sawzall, I removed the saw to check how close I was to the frame and wires at the top of it and thats when I realized if I just pulled straight back, the front overhang section would just follow along at that point.

Same thing with hitting the top to crack it and allow more flex. As I was pulling it out the back the mid section became snug between the frame and hoses. SO the original plan was to smack it so it would bend a bit and slide a little easier. But when I hit the top it just cracked, lengthwise and the sides then flexed right in allowing it to just slip right out with out further struggle. Took about 15 minutes total, and that was on accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement