New here and to the VN 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

New here and to the VN 750

Just bought "The Boss" (wife) a 2003 VN750 w/<5K miles - hasn't been ridden since 2009. (my 1500 classic is to big for her)

It would start and run for a second or so and quit. Then wouldn't even fire. They must have cranked on it a lot because it has a new battery.

Brought it home, drained old gas, added some 92 octane and SeaFoam. Wired it for a battery maintainer and let it sit over night. Nothing changed this morning. After work this afternoon, it would run for an additional second or so, a couple of times, but then nothing.

I cheated and used ether and it started. It would only run at 4K w/choke at first. Then after a few minutes of this, the choke could be opened and it would run w/out it. After running a few minutes more, it would finally run at 2K with no choke. About 1/3 of the fuel in the tank is SeaFoam so I'm hoping it got circulated throughout the fuel system and will clean it up. It's scheduled in the shop at the end of next week so that probably means 2 weeks. :0)

My question is, should I have bought this bike from my ex-wife or better to have left the problem child with her? :0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. Since you've been able to get it running without pulling the carbs, I would cancel the appointment with the shop and just ride it and keep using Sea Foam.

You can drain the fuel from the carbs and fill them with straight Sea Foam too. Let them soak for a couple of days and drain it out. Might get them clean sooner.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Having just recently sorted out a similarly presenting problem bike, let me pose a few questions:

Have you ridden it any to determine how it runs when it gets out of the idle circuit? If so, how's it run?

The carb bowl covers can be removed with the carbs still on the bike. Just need a 7mm open end wrench. The right side front screw can be a little problematic with the throttle cable crowding your wrench space, but it works.

With the bowl covers off, it's easier to remove the main jet by removing the needle jet with an 8mm socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet. Separate as you see fit, but make sure all the little holes in the needle jet are clean & clear.

Next, is where it gets tricky. I will testify that it is in fact "possible" to remove the pilot jets with the carbs still on the bike, but it's a bear and you absolutely must have the right tools.

I used a Milwaukee Offset Screwdriver (tried to post a URL, but got shut down - Google it...)

The orifice in the pilot jets is TINY. I went through three different sizes of twist-tie wires, and two sizes of copper strands from braided wires before I got the clog cleared on my problem pilot jet. Wires are NOT recommended for cleaning jets & I know that, but that's how frustrated I was at the time. A good soak in carb cleaner and a shot or few of compressed air is a far better option.

The offset screwdriver is a royal PITA to get lined up, but it worked and was less painful that pulling the carbs, just make sure you get the main jet out of the way first so you can pretend to see what you're doing.

In any case, a case of beer says it's your pilot jets, and another case of beer says that a week's worth of Seafoam won't even make a dent in your problem.

On the bright side - it's totally fixable. So smile, you're halfway home (knowing is half the battle... )

BTW, Welcome!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
Sounds like you are getting good advice with the carb, so I`ll just watch what happens.

Quote:
Just bought "The Boss" (wife) a 2003 VN750 w/<5K miles - hasn't been ridden since 2009.......My question is, should I have bought this bike from my ex-wife or better to have left the problem child with her? :0)
You bought a bike with a problem from your ex-wife to give to the one who now warms your bed?????
You are a brave man.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

I've narrowed it down to the petcock rebuild -> with tank off and squirting carb cleaner into the fuel supply lines, it starts right up and runs until it empties the lines - at an idle where it wouldn't with all parts hooked up.

Now I'm trying to find the correct petcock repair kit. Either I'm searching incorrectly or the 2003 isn't listed with all the other year's repair kits.

Local Kawasaki shop doesn't have one but maybe I should stop by instead of call them and actually look at what they do have.

Does the 2003 VN750 repair kit fit other years as well?

----------------------------------
Quote:
You bought a bike with a problem from your ex-wife to give to the one who now warms your bed?????
My son said he rode the bike in 2009 and it ran great and looked great. His mother tried to sell it to him, but he went out and bought a H-D instead. :0)

She was supposed to get it running, but I got tired of waiting.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
Now I'm trying to find the correct petcock repair kit. Either I'm searching incorrectly or the 2003 isn't listed with all the other year's repair kits.

Local Kawasaki shop doesn't have one but maybe I should stop by instead of call them and actually look at what they do have.

Does the 2003 VN750 repair kit fit other years as well?
All years of petcocks are interchangeable. The only difference is that `85 to `89 models have a PRIme position that will fill the carbs without vacuum applied to the middle nipple.

The 1990 models and later have an OFF position.

The petcock repair kits are usable on all models.
This is what I found on ebay with a search just now.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...etcock&_sacat=

This is an excerpt from the first listing above:

Quote:
The Fuel Petcock Repair Kit sold in this listing will fit the following models:

Kawasaki EX250E1/E2 Ninja 250R - '86-87
Kawasaki KZ305B LTD Belt (vacuum, California Model) - '87-88
Kawasaki EN450A1/A2/A3/A4/A5/A6 LTD 454 - '85-90
Kawasaki EN500A1~A7 Vulcan 500 - '90-96
Kawasaki EX500 Ninja 500 - '87-05
Kawasaki KZ550F1/F2 Spectre & LTD - '83-84
Kawasaki KZ550H1/H2 GPz - '82-83
Kawasaki KZ550M1 LTD - '83
Kawasaki ZX550A1/A2 GPz - '84-85
Kawasaki ZX600 Ninja 600R/RX - '85-87
Kawasaki KL650 KLR650 - '87-07
Kawasaki VN700A1 Vulcan - '85
Kawasaki ZN700A/A2 LTD - '84-85
Kawasaki KZ750F1 LTD - '83
Kawasaki KZ750N1/N2 Spectre - '82-83
Kawasaki VN750A2~A19 Vulcan - '86-03
Kawasaki KL650A1~A2 KLR650 - '87-06
Kawasaki KL650B2 Tengai KLR - '90
Phone the Kaw shop and ask if they have a petcock repair kit for ANY year of vn750.
According to the info in the listings above, any kit should work in your 2003. Good luck.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-19-2011 at 07:04 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Phone the Kaw shop and ask if they have a petcock repair kit for ANY year of vn750.
Kawasaki doesn't market a repair kit for the petcock; only individual parts.

K&L part #18-2723

http://tinyurl.com/3ohv5qs

Doesn't list above '96, but the petcock guts are the same for the '96 as the '03

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info - petcock kit arrived from eBay and I installed it tonight. Got it to run and almost idle but not much really changed. Ran it until the temp gauge moved and even that didn't help. I did notice that when holding a steady throttle, the tach moved around a couple hundred rpm and it didn't run real smooth.

This past weekend my wife, son & I took the M/C safety course and all passed it. Wish her bike was running so she could practice a little.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Son-in-law and I twisted hoses, etc looking for a problem and found the vacuum line to the petcock had a hole in it. Shortened it and warmed it up enough to ride - still doesn't idle very well and is very short on power. Rear spark plugs were nice light brown, but the front ones were black and almost fouled. Gonna get a set of the iridium plugs.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Git-R-Done!

Hmmm... still sounds like some kind of carb problem to me. But given all of the other suggestions, and the fact that you have changed out the petcock, I am not really sure what else to suggest. I am thinking it may come down to a carb rebuild if all else fails.

Best of luck. I will be keeping my eye on this thread to see if you get it figured out, and what it is/was.

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock