Anyone replaced the idle screw with the carbs on? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Question Anyone replaced the idle screw with the carbs on?

I have my carbs off the bike for cleaning. I have my new idle adjuster screw on order. I'm thinking that I can put the carbs on now and add the new idle screw when it comes in. It looks like it should be doable, but I'd rather not put the carbs back in then have to do another R&R in a couple days.

Can anyone actually confirm that it's possible to change the idle adjuster with the carbs on the bike?

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 AM

The answer is yes. I did this to my '88 about two years ago. Tip, don't try to just remove the needle and replace with the new ones, because the o-ring and metal spring seat can get sideways and then get bent/stuck when you replace the needle (how do I know?? yep!). Replace the needle/spring/seat/seal as a set. To remove the rubber seal and metal seat washer, I used a long sewing needle bent at 45 degrees to get into the carb and with the tip bent upwards about 2mm at the end to catch the washer and seal.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM

That being said, however, it was tight. If I had my preference, I'd wait to put the carbs on until after the new adjustable needles arrived.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

I think you may have been referring to something else. I just meant the knob/cable/screw that adjusts how far open the throttle stays when you're not on the grip.

It ended up getting here sooner than I expected, so I was able to put it on before reinstalling the carbs. Once I got everything back in there, I saw where the screw was behind the rear cylinder's boot, so it probably would've been harder than I was imagining.

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
Sponsored Links
Advertisement