Iridium Question- Problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Iridium Question- Problem

With my carbs air/fuel mixture set at 2 1/2 turns out and with standard NGK plugs my bike runs great and the plugs are light tan. I installed Iridiums and the bike still runs great and starts easier. However the Iridiums are showing a white color, a lean condition. I turned the air/fuel mixture out another 1/4 turn, still white. Turned them out another 1/4 turn,still white. Turned them out another 1/4 turn still white. This doesn't make sense. Called Iridium tech service, told them what happened and they said the Iridiums should show the same color at the same air/fuel mixture as the standard plugs.
Have any of you running Iridiums experienced the same problem?
Thanks

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
No. They might take some time to change. Could be the fuel.

Make sure the are gapped right and go for a long ride at highway speeds.... Then check them again. Would not be worried unless you see bits of melted metal around ground electrode. Try some fresh gas and make sure you air box is not leaking.

EDIT... Just wanted to add...are you sure they are the correct heat range? Turn the screws back to where they were if it was running fine. These only adjust the fuel mix for idle and just off idle...(1100-3200 rpm)

Could simply be you getting a more efficient combustion ...and the just are not dis-coloring yet

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 04-29-2011 at 02:02 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Plugs gapped at .034, fresh gas, no air leaks. Put about 80 miles on the bike before changing the air/fuel mixture each time. The plugs have over 300 miles on them now and 2 tank fulls of the same gas I always use. The electrodes look good. The last tank of gas at 70% highway speeds I got 54 miles per gallon, not bad at all. I was averaging about 46 miles per gallon.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

Make sure the are gapped right and go for a long ride at highway speeds.... Then check them again. Would not be worried unless you see bits of melted metal around ground electrode. Try some fresh gas and make sure you air box is not leaking.

EDIT... Just wanted to add...are you sure they are the correct heat range? Turn the screws back to where they were if it was running fine. These only adjust the fuel mix for idle and just off idle...(1100-3200 rpm)

Could simply be you getting a more efficient combustion ...and the just are not dis-coloring yet

KM
Thanks KM
Plugs are proper heat range DPR7EIX-9. The Iridium tech said just what you said about getting more effecient combustion-- and are not discloring yet. I said I would agree with him but after 300 miles the plugs should show the true color. He agreed that 300 miles was more than enough miles to get a reading. I think I'll give it 100 more miles and then go back to 2 3/4 turns out.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

KM
Thanks KM
Plugs are proper heat range DPR7EIX-9. The Iridium tech said just what you said about getting more effecient combustion-- and are not discoloring yet. I said I would agree with him but after 300 miles the plugs should show the true color. He agreed that 300 miles was more than enough miles to get a reading. I think I'll give it 100 more miles and then go back to 2 3/4 turns out.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I agree in what you are saying except I wouldn't call 3200 rpm " just off idle "

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
KM is most likely referring to the fact that for our bikes, the fuel/air mix screw only affects the range of rpm associated with the pilot jet fuel passage (1100~3200). Once past this range, and the main jet phases in via the large diaphram needles, the mixture screw setting no longer matters, and it's just burn it all go time.

P.S. - Some say that the colortune plug is worthless, but I would like to try one anyway sometime for this very purpose.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 04-29-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: P.S. - Colortune
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
As suggested by HAL-9000.....
You can try installing a new set if regular plugs and see if they turn color to your liking... If they do, this means your mix is fine, so put the iridiums back in and leave them alone.

If they remain white too, then something has changed in your fuel system.

To be honest here, I installed my iridiums and NEVER took them out..... Kind of the reason I bought them.......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As suggested by HAL-9000.....
You can try installing a new set if regular plugs and see if they turn color to your liking... If they do, this means your mix is fine, so put the iridiums back in and leave them alone.

If they remain white too, then something has changed in your fuel system.

To be honest here, I installed my iridiums and NEVER took them out..... Kind of the reason I bought them.......
I had a new set of regular plugs in the bike, 150 miles on them. I installed Iridium plugs because of what I read about the Vulcan charging issues. My bike does start easier and faster. I don't want the trade off to be an overly lean engine. The Iridiums might be coming out in another 100 miles unless they decide to change color.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 PM

I too put in iridiums and never took them out. I heard or read that you should not gap iridiums. Like KM, I put them in so I would never have to take them out. If it runs fine leave it go - sort of like if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement