Petcock leaks when in reserve position? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Petcock leaks when in reserve position?

OK, so I ran out of gas this morning. I will note, that I knew I was extremely low on gas, I just left home and first stop was the gas station. So I switched it over to reserve and off I went. Filled up the tank, petcock still on reserve, and let it sit for 10 minutes while I smoked a cig and chatted with the attendent. When I went back to the bike there was a puddle around the kickstand. Didn't take long to notice the petcock was leaking, about 1 drop every 5-10 seconds. I turned it back to the ON position and it stopped dripping.

My question is can this be fixed without replacing the whole petcock?

And can I contionue to ride in the ON position as long as I don't use the RES for the rest of the season and deal with this in the winter?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 11:11 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlacoLove View Post
Of course you can. All you need is one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...Q5fAccessories

You don't necessarily have to purchase that one (you just may find a cheaper one) but this is basically all you need for a quick, good and easy fix. Mine came within 3 days. Download the manual (at our site) and go to section 2-26 Fuel System for instructions. It is important that you reassemble accordingly (grooves/O-ring/vac hose alignment, etc.)

Ride safe.
That one says up to '03 - are you certain the petcock is the same on my 2005?

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Odometer @ October, 2019: 14,200
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACataldo View Post
That one says up to '03 - are you certain the petcock is the same on my 2005?
Yes the petcocks are all the same right up to 2006.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Yes the petcocks are all the same right up to 2006.
I'm getting conflicting info. I contacted the man at that website store and he said they changed the petcocks after 2003. I am asking my local Kawasaki dealership to see what they say (most likely "we can get you a new petcock for $4,000.00"). geez

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACataldo View Post
I'm getting conflicting info. I contacted the man at that website store and he said they changed the petcocks after 2003. I am asking my local Kawasaki dealership to see what they say (most likely "we can get you a new petcock for $4,000.00"). geez
I stand corrected then. This is the first I have heard of the change.
Sorry for the confusion.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected then. This is the first I have heard of the change.
Sorry for the confusion.
No you are only trying to help and I appreciate it. I have yet to confirm but I do know I have gotten wrong parts in the past and it is irritating. I just want those after me to avoid a problem. I will make sure what the correct answer is and relate back here. Thanks!

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 PM

Nope, not a change in the part; it's a change in the part #. The current part # superceded the earlier 2003 #.

I've got the exact years for the actual changes written down somewhere, but damned if I can find 'em right now. The first one was a single oval filter tube, and was marked PRI, ON, and RES. The second generation was a metal tube with filter for main, and a small plastic or nylon filter for reserve, and still marked PRI, ON and RES. The last came out around '94, and had the second gen filter setup, but was marked OFF, ON, and RES. The second gen part # superceded the earliest one; if you bought a replacement petcock for an '87 in '91, you got the second gen part. The third generation one superceded the second gen, so if you bought a replacement petcock for an '87 or '91 in, say '99 or '03, you got the last generation petcock.

The '04 and later petcocks are the same as the ~'94 up, just with a new part #. And, for what it's worth, the guts for all of 'em--diaphragms, spring, etc.--are the same from '85 to the present, last I checked, altho it's possible I might've missed something there; I didn't check each year individually.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Nope, not a change in the part; it's a change in the part #. The current part # superceded the earlier 2003 #.

I've got the exact years for the actual changes written down somewhere, but damned if I can find 'em right now. The first one was a single oval filter tube, and was marked PRI, ON, and RES. The second generation was a metal tube with filter for main, and a small plastic or nylon filter for reserve, and still marked PRI, ON and RES. The last came out around '94, and had the second gen filter setup, but was marked OFF, ON, and RES. The second gen part # superceded the earliest one; if you bought a replacement petcock for an '87 in '91, you got the second gen part. The third generation one superceded the second gen, so if you bought a replacement petcock for an '87 or '91 in, say '99 or '03, you got the last generation petcock.

The '04 and later petcocks are the same as the ~'94 up, just with a new part #. And, for what it's worth, the guts for all of 'em--diaphragms, spring, etc.--are the same from '85 to the present, last I checked, altho it's possible I might've missed something there; I didn't check each year individually.

Jim
That`s interesting Jim, and far more detailed than any previous info I have seen on changes in the petcock. I had understood there were only two versions, the RES-ON-PRI from 1985 to `89 I think, and RES-ON-OFF from 1990 onward.

If you find the paper with the dates and particulars of the changes you outline here, I would be interested to hear from you that the dates given for the introduction of the 2nd and 3rd generation petcocks are as you remember them. Thanks.

My `91 has what I call the second version markings, RES-ON-OFF, (or the third generation from 1994 as you describe them), but I can`t comment on the pick-up tube filters or screens as I haven`t looked at them.

As far as I know, my bike was absolutely stock when I bought it 3 years ago, with about 12K miles on it. I suppose it is possible the petcock may have been replaced by a previous owner with a superseding one after 1994, but I don`t believe that to be the case. However I am curious about the apparent discrepancy between the dates in your info and the petcock on my bike, for the change from a Prime function to an OFF position.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-26-2011 at 02:46 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That`s interesting Jim, and far more detailed than any previous info I have seen on changes in the petcock. I had understood there were only two versions, the RES-ON-PRI from 1985 to `89 I think, and RES-ON-OFF from 1990 onward.
That was the only external change...

Quote:
If you find the paper with the dates and particulars of the changes you outline here, I would be interested to hear from you that the dates given for the introduction of the 2nd and 3rd generation petcocks are as you remember them. Thanks.
Well, it wasn't a "paper", as such; it was what I wrote down cross-referencing between Kawasaki's web site, Ron Ayers, and another one I can't recall. That, and having 3 different actual petcocks in hand. And it all went down more than a year ago; hell, I have a hard time remembering where I put something the day before yesterday, sometimes.

Quote:
My `91 has what I call the second version markings, RES-ON-OFF, (or the third generation from 1994 as you describe them), but I can`t comment on the pick-up tube filters or screens as I haven`t looked at them.

As far as I know, my bike was absolutely stock when I bought it 3 years ago, with about 12K miles on it. I suppose it is possible the petcock may have been replaced by a previous owner with a superseding one after 1994, but I don`t believe that to be the case. However I am curious about the apparent discrepancy between the dates in your info and the petcock on my bike, for the change from a Prime function to an OFF position.
Heh; you're not the only one that's confused.

Consider this: the only difference in the 1st and succeeding versions is the body casting, changing between the single oval filter and two tubes; the only difference between the first two and the last is the faceplate, changing from PRI-ON-RES to OFF-ON-RES.

So...

First gen used the first casting, single oval filter, and first faceplate.

Second gen used the second casting, second filter setup, and the first faceplate.

Third gen used second casting, second filter setup, and second faceplate.

Taken all together, it works out that maybe there are only two petcocks, and somebody produced an excess of first gen faceplates, using them up between ~'89 and '93, before going to the second faceplate--or maybe Kaw just changed to the second faceplate to confuse the crap out of everybody. (Personally, I like that second theory, altho it's more likely some low level employee in the plant that stamped the faceplates didn't know what PRI meant, and changed it because he thought OFF made more sense.)

All use the same guts, and all work the same way; OFF still PRImes the float chambers when the engine is off, and PRIme shuts OFF fuel flow when the engine is started and the petcock is left in the PRI/OFF position, killing the engine when the float chambers run out of fuel. ON is still ON once the engine is running, and RES is still REServe.

What it boils down to, other than an interesting mental exercise, is it doesn't really matter. Any year petcock will work with any year tank on any year VN700/750, in any combination.

Jim

(BTW, I have all three petcocks; if I can remember next week after all the crap I've got to do over the next 5 days, I'll take a pic of all three and post it)

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
Sponsored Links