Strange Fuel question/problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Strange Fuel question/problem

hello all you gurus, i have another question/problem that hopefully you can help with. my wife is learning to ride and i can't think of a better bike for her to learn with. we had the bike out for a 60 mile run no problems, then she stops at a stop sign and it dies. will start with choke added and will rev so we ride it home being that we were about 1/8 mile away. i try to start once home and it will not idle with out choke or throttle. after about 30 secs i see black smoke from exhaust so i stop and pull the plugs rear two plugs are nice but both fronts are black and a little wet. something told me to pull pilot screws out of carbs now the pilot hole for the front carb one on the left starts leaking fuel at a good pace and nothing from right side even when i tip the bike over like if there was a kickstand on the rightside. is the pilot hole supposed to leak fuel like that? since we have owned this bike i have noticed that starting cold with choke is no problem but hot starts are a bit of an issue, my wife was stalling a lot in the begining and listening to her trying to get it started again i always thought that it didnt sound right, too much cranking and even a few tries sometimes. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Try the screw driver handle tap on the carb bowl. The float may just be stuck.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 08:29 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Old Truck Junkie

No there should not be any fuel come out of the air mix screw. You have a flooding problem. If the tapping does not work. Try as described above. If that don't work, clean carb.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

hey everyone, for some reason i didnt think that fuel should be fast dripping out of the pilot hole especially when i tipped the bike over to the otherside and nothing came out. coupled with the fact that the front cylinder is fouling the plugs and no idle i figured on it being a flooding problem. so i will try tapping the bowl but you think i will have to remove carbs?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Gotta' tell ya' wifesbike, If I had the kind of issues you have described, I would pull the carbs and clean/inspect them regardless. While in there, I would make sure floats and needles are in good shape, passages clean, jets clean, diaphrams in good shape and not stuck. Your lucky you have a wife that wants to ride her own bike. I would make sure she had a dependable starting and running bike for her first one for sure. After cleaning and checking everything I could think of on the carbs, I would put in the irridium plugs if you don't already have them, and consider the pick-up mod to .020" clearance if it's not done already. Makes the bike start muuuuch more confidently. my2cents.

~~C8> Ratt
Will Do: MOSFET, Horns, Shave(maybe)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

yea you may be right on that one. i think i will make a weekend job outta this one and just pull the carbs and inspect. i have heard of that pick up coil mod but i have not thought about doing maybe i should try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement