flooding back cylinder - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
vulcan lover/hater

Unhappy flooding back cylinder

The bike ran perfectly last fall. When I got it out for the winter, reinstalled the tank, put a new diaphragm in the fuel tank valve (as I always do: the ethanol ruins it annually). I tried to start it, it runs for about 30 sec. on the front cylinder while the back cylinder floods: after several seconds begins dripping raw fuel out the first exhaust pipe joint. When I pull the plugs, the back ones are soaked.

Do I need to pull the carb and take it apart? My research has shown me that it is probably either a stuck float (likely) or a bad jet (unlikely: I don't know how a worn jet would cause this level of flooding, especially after running perfectly last fall).

I can't do anything (e.g. carb cleaner in the fuel) that requires the bike to run, because it doesn't run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
The bike ran perfectly last fall. When I got it out for the winter, reinstalled the tank, put a new diaphragm in the fuel tank valve (as I always do: the ethanol ruins it annually). I tried to start it, it runs for about 30 sec. on the front cylinder while the back cylinder floods: after several seconds begins dripping raw fuel out the first exhaust pipe joint. When I pull the plugs, the back ones are soaked.

Do I need to pull the carb and take it apart? My research has shown me that it is probably either a stuck float (likely) or a bad jet (unlikely: I don't know how a worn jet would cause this level of flooding, especially after running perfectly last fall).

I can't do anything (e.g. carb cleaner in the fuel) that requires the bike to run, because it doesn't run.
Based on the forums info, this is most probably a stuck float.

1995 VN750 - 10K
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluezuk View Post
Based on the forums info, this is most probably a stuck float.
Agreed

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Hello....I just went through your same ordeal last week.....exact same problem.....The bike ran better than ever on a Tuesday.....that Friday the rear cylinder had raw unburnt fuel flooding the rear cylinder and dripping from the exhaust crush gasket area. I was baffled because my friend and I had just rebuilt the carbs a month and a half before........Turned out to be rear carb float was cracked and full of fuel causing the float to stay on the bottom of the bowl......yours could just be stuck.......mine was cracked.....food for thought.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 08:31 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
vulcan lover/hater

Thanks for this idea. Mine is the California emissions model, and just looking at the engine makes me woozy at the thought of removing carbs. But if I have to...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
vulcan lover/hater

Thanks! This forum is the best.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

California Emissions.....and you live in Ohio? Take all that useless crap off of there. working on the bike is a million times easier if you remove all that crap properly and coaster it and do an earshave. Also if you change to aftermarket exhaust and remove the goat's belly tank.....it's amazing how much more stuff you can get to.....not to mention the shedding of all that useless weight!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRET H View Post
California Emissions.....and you live in Ohio? Take all that useless crap off of there. working on the bike is a million times easier if you remove all that crap properly and coaster it and do an earshave. Also if you change to aftermarket exhaust and remove the goat's belly tank.....it's amazing how much more stuff you can get to.....not to mention the shedding of all that useless weight!
What he said............best thing I ever did was rip all that junk off the bike.......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
vulcan lover/hater

Thanks for the inspiration! It's nice to know that this can be done. Again...thanks!
Problem: I don't know what you mean by "coaster it"; something about the west "coast"? (Remember: my nickname for this site is "geezer"!) What's an "earshave"?

Last edited by Chaz; 04-24-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement