fuel problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

fuel problem

My 93 750 that sat for 8 years has started being hard to start and will only run for a minute or two then die out like it is running out of gas,and then it want start back for a little while then does it all over.
Now I don't have much gas in it so could that be the problem or something else?
The petcock seems to be working properly now that I cleaned it good,the little hose that runs down under the seat is clean.
So what am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Unk

I'm sure others will chime in with a lot more info than I but a bike that has sat for 8 years will likely need more than cleaning the petcock. Did you start it semi-regularly and keep fresh gas in it? If not chances are you have some laquering in the carbs. It's actually easier than you might think to ascertain as it really will smell like laquer. Removing the carbs is tricky but a good cleaning of the entire fuel system would be well advised after 8 years. I would change all other fluids as well. I purchased a Vulcan for an incredible price precisely because the previous owner did want to be bothered with cleaning the fuel system. A little elbow grease and a few tweaks later and I have a great motorcycle. You'll get some recommendations to try Seafoam, a great product, before going through the trouble of disassembling anything. Do a search for Seafoam on the forum and you'll find several avenues to use it to solve fuel system problems. If it doesn't work though you can't beat a good old fashioned cleaning to bring your bike back to life.

If you don't have a manual there are always decent deals on eBay (unless you're mechanically gifted and don't need one).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I also cleaned the tank good and put new gas in it,it was running fine,it seems to be worse since I put new plugs in it,I don't have but a gallon or two in it right now so it might need a little more

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM

put about a cup of Seafoam in the tank with a full tank of gas.. sounds like you have dirty carbs... and check the gap on your new plugs...worse case.. pull the carbs and clean them... a bike that has sat that long will need all new fluids as well.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Regapped the plugs to 34,it will fire right up now and idle but can't rev it up
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM

I am thinking your gonna need to pull those carbs and clean them... but try the seafoam first.... its sounding like you have some crud in the carbs that is sticking the floats and what not.. Seafoam will help... what was the color of the plugs when you pulled em?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

front two was clean,the back two was black,before I put the new plugs in it it ran pretty good after you got it started,it was hard to start cold,I'm gonna put more gas in it this weekend and try to clean the carbs with carb spray.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM

check your hoses and boots for cracks and leaks.. you can use a can of WD40 spraying around the boots while running.. if it stubbles then you know you have a leak there.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

I'll check it this weekend.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 PM

I am still leaning to dirty carbs...you can drain the bowls and spray some carb cleaner in the drain holes and you might get most of the gunk out....can also do my hillbilly seafoam trick...will need a helper for this cause its a bit tricky... take a clean soda bottle.. coke is best...LOL..but drill 2 holes a bit smaller than the 2 hoses that feed the carbs (its gonna leak but will do the trick) put pure Seafoam in the bottle .. about a cup should do it...start bike and run the bottle dry..this is where the helper come in..one to hold the bottle and one to keep it running.. its gonna smoke and fart and run crappy for a bit... this is basicaly cleaning the carbs the hillbilly way.. but will do the job...hook the hoses back up tot the tank with about a cup full of Seafoam in a full tank of gas..(cheap stuff not the higher octane) and get it started again.. see if that will clean it it up a bit.. the longer you run Seafoam the better it will get...also have a fully charged battery each time you start it...hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement