carbs need to off - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

carbs need to off

For some reason I seemed to have developed a killer vacuum leak on the front carb. I fiddled around for an nearly two hours and all I managed to accomplish was bending the crap out of one clamp! It appears the cooling hose have to come off as well as that dreaded air box. I seem to be way out of my element working in such tight places and I'm scared I'll ruin my bike. So I have been reading some ear shave post and that has me wondering, is there a kit available with detailed instructions and/or someone in the Cleveland TN area that may be interesting in performing another shave? Right now I'm considering a dealer to just repair the leak Anyway I am up for some advice

Look where your going not where you've been!

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is a thread from 5 days ago with the info you are looking for.
Not a kit per se, but a list of components and part numbers.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ight=ear+shave

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.I was hoping this mod had gotten famous enough that some one was producing a kit. I really like the shaved look, but honestly I am more than a bit nervous about screwing something up.

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdif View Post
Thanks.I was hoping this mod had gotten famous enough that some one was producing a kit. I really like the shaved look, but honestly I am more than a bit nervous about screwing something up.
It had.. and there was a kit available from the master himself..but the master past on about a month ago.. a very big loss to us all and very big void was left in his wake. He will be forever missed.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

OK guys here is an update. *******WARNING RETARD ALERT**********

The killer vacuum leak I thought I had was a very stupid mistake. As I'm sure all of you seasoned wrenches are aware of, the ears breath through the back on a stocker. Well mine is stock and after tearing partially into and having an auto-tech friend of mine look at it, I noticed his spray hitting the back of the opposite ear. Yep that leak was the designated filter intake!!!!! So now back to square one, why is the pipe changing color? Could it be the really stout dose of seafoam?

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
air/fuel mixture screws are not set correctly.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlacoLove View Post
Put everything back together; start the bike and try to find that leak by spraying WD40 and/or water from a spray bottle onto all the areas of the carbs. You will be looking for a change in rpm's, and/or smoke coming out the exhaust. Spray around the boots, ducts, hoses, etc... You are trying to pin point the source of your air leak.

Download this manual: http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

The above manual will give you detailed easy step by step instructions for removing, disassembling, cleaning, etc. instructions for the carbs (Fuel System chapter 2). You will see that you don't have to take off the air box for this procedure; you need not be a mechanic.

As far as your second post above: yes. spray will hit the other ear if you aim from one to the other. Look at the air box as a big letter "T" whereas the top of the "T" would be the bike's ears, (spraying through one side will obviously hit the other ear) and the base of the "T" would feed the carbs & the emissions air valve, (see manual above). When reassembling the ears to the box, make sure all the pieces (especially the rubber ones) are snug/secured into place, thus preventing unwanted additional air to enter.

If your pipe, (I hope you mean exhaust) is burning up (color) this details a lean air/fuel mixture which can be cause by a couple of things; one being you do have a leak; extra air is going into that cylinder and you must have lots of popping upon decel.

Download that manual and read, read, read, especially chapter two. Ride safe.
The toc link above returns an error page not found when I click it or paste it to URL. I already have it all back together. Actually I have never had much of problem on decel. I do get the low rumbly kind of sound but as far as strong or often pops out the tail pipes I can only remember one time and that was after hard run coming down a mountain and it only done it once. Bike was only a year or so old at the time. The mixture screws are still sealed on my carbs. Not saying that is right, just that I ain't screwed with them. My technician buddy sprayed 2/3 can of carb cleaner on it and said the only thing he could find was a very slight bump in RPM on the throttle shaft. He had to spray it several times to make sure he even heard it right and that from an automotive stand point it (the whole system sealing) was perfect. He is aware I've seafoamed it the last two springs and suggests I may have a "jiblet of sh*t" (must be some technical term lol) that seafoam has not cut loose yet hanging around in the carb some where. As far as being a mechanic I have dabbled over the years but for some reason the bike scares the whiz out of me.

Thanks so much for the help. I really do appreciate it.

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

TOC manual link:
http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

The metal cap/seal over the fuel/air mixture screws has to be removed to adjust them.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
right click the above links and select "Save As.."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement