Ear Shave Parts List - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Ear Shave Parts List

Does anyone have a concise parts list (and where purchased) needed for the ear shave Ron used to do? Ron stipulated jet size for altitude above SL...I'm @ 300' above SL.
Recent pics of vulcan89's bike at the end of this thread show final results....nice clean look.
You get bonus points if you have documented the procedure and can share them. Yes, I know there are videos, but they are lengthy and make me dizzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Does anyone have a concise parts list (and where purchased) needed for the ear shave Ron used to do? Ron stipulated jet size for altitude above SL...I'm @ 300' above SL.
Recent pics of vulcan89's bike at the end of this thread show final results....nice clean look.
You get bonus points if you have documented the procedure and can share them. Yes, I know there are videos, but they are lengthy and make me dizzy
This write up isn't to bad and can get you thru it.. its not difficult at all really.
http://jr_allas.tripod.com/documents/Ear_Removal.htm
at you sea level 140 mains and 40 pilot should do you... I'm jsut a bit higher than you and use 142/42. baught from PJ motor sports.
http://www.pjmotorsports.com/keihin-jets.html
this is what I ordered from them.
1 Mikuni Needle Shims Item# Price: 009-396
> $6.95 USD
> 2 Keihin 99101-393 Main Jet Size: 142
> $13.90 USD
> 2 n424-22 Pilot/Slow Jet sizes: 42
> $13.90 USD
> Amount $34.75 USD

Also as far as Pod filters go.. you can use the K&N filters if you have the cash.. but I am a cheap bastered so I got these from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZMZKC

I used 2 of the crank case filters from Phat Preformance Parts (one for the crank case and the other for the hose that went from the carbs to the right ear.... you will also need a plug/cap for the right side carb vent hose.. any auto stor will have these caps)
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...ode=14%2D20900

I also picked up costers from Sherms
http://www.shermscycleproducts.com/coasterpage.html

You will need a few things like hoses for the crank case filters and I used a peice of pipe I had laying around to connect the crank case hose to the smaller hose to the filter. You will also need atleast 1 small hose clamp.. but get a few of them they come in handy for other things.

These are all the things that Ron had me get if I didnt buy his kit (his kit was way cheaper.. but I procrastinated to long)

Don't forget to turn your air mix screws out 2.5 turns.

Last edited by clock152; 03-29-2011 at 09:19 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Great stuff...thanks!!!

Where are others buying the K&N filters and what size?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Great stuff...thanks!!!

Where are others buying the K&N filters and what size?
K&N RC-2340
http://www.amazon.com/RC-2340-Univer.../dp/B00062YOKO
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RC-2340

they are a bit more but will last you forever.. and kinda look cooler...stay away from the EMGO pod filters that look like these but are gray.. they are crap.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks clock!

Nice contribution!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 PM

no problem.
I did all of the above and she sprange to life and ran like you wouldnt belive for about 1 ride.. then the tank started this crazy leak thing and she is under covers again... arrrrggggg...but hey she is old and was a parts bike when I got her.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

If you decide to go with Uni Filter foam filters vs. K&N Filters.......The part # for the Uni Filters is PK-92 the kit comes with 2 filters. After some research on here I went with the Uni's because they are supposed to be better at keeping rain water out of the carbs because of the foam media being more water resistant than the K&N cotton media. That's just what people said....and they were cheaper to buy. ALSO.....I got my Jets and Needles from PJ Motorsports.com in Oregon. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend these folks. Small family owned shop.....and they really know Keihin carbs well. Very very good customer service. The owner took the time to explain to me why so very little replacement parts are available for our CVK34's(other than through (Ma Kaw):and why they are so expensive.........you know like how Fred at the local small hardware store knew more about toggle bolts and copper pipe solder then the high school kid selling it at Home Depot will ever know about it. Support your local small business....they are a dying breed.

Last edited by BRET H; 05-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRET H View Post
If you decide to go with Uni Filter foam filters vs. K&N Filters.......The part # for the Uni Filters is PK-92 the kit comes with 2 filters. After some research on here I went with the Uni's because they are supposed to be better at keeping rain water out of the carbs because of the foam media being more water resistant than the K&N cotton media. That's just what people said....and they were cheaper to buy.
cost and looks is what I went with on the Uni's..my bike is black so they just look better than the K&N.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

This looks like a pretty useful thread, especially with the parts lists and link to the Blog article. Thanks for the effort guys.

I'm about to finally do this mod to my bikeand this looks like it'll help alot.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 AM

Thanks for this thread ! ! !

Now the question.
I will have a shop clean the carbs and replace the jets so I just have to add the filters after reinstalling the carbs? Or is there more settings needed to get things going?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement