Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

New 86 Vulcan 750

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  vulcanpower 
#1 ·
Hi to everybody,

I've never posted in these forums before and never knew they existed until I just recently came across a mint condition 86 Vulcan. The bike looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. I have a few questions and if anyone can answer them I'd greatly appreciate it.

I bought the bike from a guy who had it sitting in his garage for 15 years. It didn't run. All I did was change the fuel, and it started right up. To be safe, I put in some carb cleaner to burn up the gunk a little.

Now ... I noticed that more vapor is coming out of the exhaust on my left side than on my right. The left also gets hotter than the right. Could this be a carb issue, or be a bigger problem? Other than this, the bike is PRISTINE. I bought it for $1400 with 7k miles.

Any input? Suggestions? I really want to get this thing running smoothly.

Thanks,
John

#2 ·
Since you got that thing SO cheap. Let your dealer synch up your carbs. that could be your issue. Also, it might need to just run. My old kz550 had only 3 of the 4 cyl. firing for about a week after i saved it. then after using it, i think i freed up the rings on cyl. #4 and it fires all the time.

#3 ·
and, welcome to the forum! this is the best place to find information about your bike! and Great choice on the 86!!! Take care of her. Try and get some pictures up of this thing!!

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. You can synch the carbs yourself if you have a servce manual or experience. Google home made carb synchronizer/manometer for a cheap manometer that is more accurate than the commercial types.

#6 ·
you got that bike at a
steal!

#7 ·
Sounds like you got a great deal. However, after 15 years of sitting I would do a full tune up; all fluids, lube cables, lube splines, new tires, new battery, clean & resync carbs, etc. Also, check all the rubber components for dry rot. This may sound like a daunting task, but it is not and all the technical advice you need can be found or solicited for on this forum.

Welcome!

#8 ·
Welcome to the madness.

#9 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you ... I will be giving it a full tune up once I pay for the title, registration, plates, insurance, and safe rider course. :wow: I put down the money for it today and will be riding it home tomorrow after getting used to it's feel. I've got a good stretch of highway between here and the pickup point.

#10 ·
nice!! sounds like you got a great bike. what color is it? is it the black? or maroon? i LOVEEE the maroon.

#12 ·
Is the front fender chrome? The European models, at least the early ones, had chrome front fenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.