new bike no choke - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

new bike no choke

hello everyone i recently purchased a 2000 vn750 for my wife it has 22k on it and i am having a few problems. first off the PO broke the choke cable and never replaced it, i have since bought a new cable but i am having the hardest time trying to instal the thing. i have the handlebar mount buttoned up no problem and i see when the drum on the end of the cable mounts to the carb choke. my question is what holds the cable in place? in the manual the pictures are vague and directions short, it says to route the cable on the left side of the bike but the plunger on the carb has to travel to the right? please any insight or pictures as to what i am missing would be much apreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

please help haha. this is one of a few problems that i am having with this new purchase and wife is on me about not being able to ride it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Welcome to the group.
Sorry I can't help you with that. I haven't had any trouble in that area with the bike I had.

But I assure you you will get help!

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the madness.
I can`t help you either. I`m not familiar with the choke connection to the carbs, my bike is covered up for the winter, and it ain`t finished up here yet.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 PM

There's no light to go take a picture right now. If no one else gives you the solution by tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to take a clear pic of it for you.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys for getting back to me. it is strange i cant seem to find a clear pic of it. i see that it comes down from where the air box is but something has to secure the chrome elbow of the cable because when i use the choke switch on handlebars the cable just moves instead of pulling the choke.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

hey guys one otther thing, is it common for these bikes to make a puff sound out of the exhaust every two seconds or so? its not a backfire but more like a puff sound if i put my hand and cup the exhausted air its like every two seconds or so it puffs. both pipes (stock exhaust) and i believe at different times.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 AM

You probably just have dirty carbs. Seafoam is very recommended in this forum to keep everything clean. Fill up the gas tank and use I think a third of the can? Not sure if that's it, someone else will confirm.

Anyway, seafoam will help you out with any hiccups you might have because of carb dirt or gunk or whatever. For bigger problems you should take out the carbs, take them apart and use carb cleaner.

There are two places that the choke cable attaches to. What the choke cable activates is something kinda like a rail on the carbs, so look along that rail... it should move when you apply the choke. On one end, you insert the barrel looking tip of the cable and twist so that the cable itself is secured... move to the other end of the rail and you'll find a sort of housing... I think it's kinda triangular in shape. This is where the elbow of the choke cable goes.

When you try to put it on, first you put the elbow into the housing and then you put the barrel looking tip on the other end. Hope you can find it with this explanation. If not, I can try to take a pic or two after work tomorrow.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

i did put seafoam in the tank and i cleaned out to float bowls by draining them then filling them with seafoam via fuel line and let sit over night then drained again and ran it a little bit. that hiccup is funny cause i put the bike on a trickle charger over night and i started it up and ran it down the road and it was a little betternot completly gone but better. correct me if i am wrong but i am testing the bat voltage at the trickle chargr port that is conected to the batt. when i took off charger it read 13.2v then ran it for about 5 miles and it read 11.8v idleing and 12.32v ign off. i am bringing it to stealership on thursday, its my wifes first bike and the thought of her on the side of the road is a little disheartening.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds like you have a charging issue and/or bad battery. I recommend an independent bike shop over almost any dealership, assuming you don't feel confident working on the bike yourself. If the battery is bad, get an AGM replacement.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement