Ethanol - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
1985 VN-700

Ethanol

How many of you have heard about ethanol in gas which is basically alchohol raising hell with rubber parts in in carburators and injection systems, according to some folks. Rumor is it even eats out steel gas tanks. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
its a myth today... back in the 70's when they started experimenting with ethanol yes that was true.. but they redsinged the o-rings, floats and other rubber parts to now be out of neoprene, plus they have put a lot of additives in the fuel to help counter act the corrosive elements of the ethanol...

Now is ethanol really that great in our fuel... I am not thinking so... I used to get 400 miles per tank in my ford ranger back in the late 90's, now I am getting a constant 200 between fill ups.. i recently decided to rebuild the engine, transmission, rear diff, and re do all my wheel bearings... and no change to the fuel economy of the truck... still a little over 200 miles between fill ups. The only thing that has changed since then and now... is what they are putting into the gas at the pump.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Ethanol is the biggest scam shoved down our throats. As much as I want the corn growers to kick butt and have something to market.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 PM

I wonder if they put ethanol in the gas here in Mexico... hope not, cause if they do, it's very likely to be the old formula.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMMERLING View Post
Ethanol is the biggest scam shoved down our throats. As much as I want the corn growers to kick butt and have something to market.
Losing 25-35% of your fuel economy with the already limited range of a motorcycle could be a serious inconvenience out in the wide open spaces between gas stations.
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...asWhatGas.html

Edit to add pertinant quote from story link above:

Quote:
Post note:
There was nothing wrong with the bike, and even under the conditions (load, speed, heat) mileage should not have dropped that far. The "10% ethanol" stickers on all the pumps in South Dakota gave me my first clue.

Simply put, the gas in South Dakota sucks. Regardless of grade (I tried them all), the best mileage I achieved on South Dakota gas was 24mpg, with a low of 20mpg. With my load and driving (flying) habits I normally get 30mpg. As soon as I gassed up in Wyoming and later in Montana, my normal range returned.

There must be a powerful ethanol/corn lobby in South Dakota...what else would make them formulate their gas so that it takes 25% more of it to do the same job.

(And here I thought we were trying to conserve gasoline).

Watch it out here folks…running out of fuel a full 40 miles sooner than expected can really put a cramp in your day.

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 03-15-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add quote from story link
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
look out the EPA has said E15 is ok for 2001 and newer automobiles.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
1985 VN-700

I remember a siliar product back in the 80's called Gasahol. Pretty much the same thing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 AM

I am currently in school at MMI (motorcycle mechanics) and from what I have heard from the teachers there is this. If you have a vehicle made after 2002 or so, you dont have a real problem. Vehicle manufacturers new it was coming and prepared. The problem is on stuff that is older, and small engines. Weed wackers, edgers, lawnmowers............I have several friends that run Landscaping companies and they tell me that they have to replace all the fuel lines and stuff like that at least once a year now. Before they rarely did. I have spoken to several local mechanics that see it everyday in the bike shops. Especially the 70's and 80's bikes. It eats the diaphrams in the carbs and fuel lines, as well as seals and bs stuff. Luckily the Japanese are usually ahead of the game. Everyone should pay close attention to their fuel systems as a fuel leak can be a very bad thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement