Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning solution? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Young Gun

Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning solution?

So I'm in the midst of rebuilding some '86 carbs and have been reading up on different ways to go about cleaning them. I came to the conclusion that I wanted to try ultrasonic cleaning and found a cheapish one at Harbor Freight.

The question I have is, What kind of cleaning solution should I use? Scouring the internets turned up many answers from dish soap to ammonia to vinegar. Some say Simple Green or citrus based. On this site a guy tries a few different things to clean brass ammo casings.

I guess a more important question is what solutions should be avoided? (could damage carbs or the cleaner itself)

P.S. I picked up the ultrasonic cleaner this weekend and put the carbs in with just distilled water to quench my curiosity. There was definitely action and the water soon turned cloudy with oil and gunk.

1990 VN 750
First (hopefully last) time in the shop:
Carb rebuild New brakes front and back New radiator fan
I've done:
Spline Lube New (used - non-leaky) Gas Tank New Fork Seals New Pirelli tires New Yuasa Maintenance Free Battery
Fresh Dexcool coolant Upgraded Shunt-type R/R (Relocated) Headlight Bypass Stator tested - PASSED
Clutch Swap - EBC Street Racer Frictions with new eBayed steels ACCT to MCCT conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Into the Darkness

I've never done that before, but where did you buy cleaner, and what was the cost of it? It sounds like it could be expensive, but if not I'd be almost tempted to give it a try.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

ACCT to MCCT conversion video
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18235

ACCT to MCCT Conversion Thread created by wib714
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

Proximity Construction
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Young Gun

This is the one I bought

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

I used a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight that can be found in the back of most any car or motorcycle magazine.

1990 VN 750
I've done:
Spline Lube New (used - non-leaky) Gas Tank New Fork Seals New Pirelli tires New Yuasa Maintenance Free Battery
Fresh Dexcool coolant Upgraded Shunt-type R/R (Relocated) Headlight Bypass Stator tested - PASSED
Clutch Swap - EBC Street Racer Frictions with new eBayed steels ACCT to MCCT conversion

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution for Carburetors

I use OmegaClean for my carburetors as opposed to some homemade concoction. It removes oil, grease, carbon and other contaminants better than aerosol solvents and hand-cleaning. I like it because the cleaner's buffers protect aluminum finishes and its silicates guard against flash rusting.

Hope that helps,

Frank

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Into the Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_matt View Post
This is the one I bought

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

I used a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight that can be found in the back of most any car or motorcycle magazine.
That's not a bad price at all for that device. I should look into getting one.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

ACCT to MCCT conversion video
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18235

ACCT to MCCT Conversion Thread created by wib714
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

Proximity Construction
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'd use SeaFoam. If no plastic or rubber parts are being cleaned, you can just use Gumout carb cleaner. You just want want something safe for the carb, as the "cleaning" is being done by the machine, not the solution.
I would not use water however...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

From what I read from the description, you should use cleaner made for that type cleaner. If you are using any type of solvent, read up on the flash point.
It also said you can use it with or w/o heat, but IMO I think heat would help clean better. I will do a search alter to see if I can find something that would work in it, and I will post the findings.
I'm going to have to get one of those.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

The cleaning powder that is advertised with the ultrasonic cleaner is said to be suitable for jewelery and waterproof watches, BUT NOT FOR ALUMINUM AND MAGNESIUM ALLOYS.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-oz-ul...der-91593.html

I agree that a high flashpoint solvent is probably the best cleaning medium for carb and general automotive or motorcyle use. KM`s specific suggestion for Seafoam or Gumout carb cleaner seem sound to me. Not sure I would use the heater with solvent though. I guess it depends how hot the solution gets.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 02-16-2011 at 06:41 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
The cleaning powder that is advertised with the ultrasonic cleaner is said to be suitable for jewelery and waterproof watches, BUT NOT FOR ALUMINUM AND MAGNESIUM ALLOYS.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-oz-ul...der-91593.html
Ooo, nice catch there, I almost grabbed that powder when I bought the Ultrasonic Cleaner (UC). I do like the idea for using Seafoam (what can't it do?) but filling the UC with it would be pretty costly...

What does anyone think of this: I had also picked up a gallon can of ChemDip, I'm thinking, soak the parts in ChemDip overnight, then put em in the UC with a solution of Simple Green and Distilled water. Should loosen all the junk up then "vibrate" it all off? Finish with water rinse and compressed air dry?

Obviously I'm a little lazy, but also just want to get them as clean as possible while they're out.

-Also, got all the o-rings on order from ronayers.com

1990 VN 750
I've done:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Young Gun

an update on this...

For most parts I have been doing: Chemdip soak, heated Simple Green Ultrasonic Clean, water rinse, compressed air dry. It's been working great as far as I can tell. Though, after the Chemdip the parts are already pretty clean.

I skipped the Chemdip for the central float chamber because it has plastic elbows and went straight to the heated Simple Green. Wow! You can really see the reaction and all the junk just kinda floats away in a murky haze. So much so the the SG solution was soon too dark to see through. When I pulled the float chamber out it looked just as clean as the other parts I used the carb cleaner on.

I guess the difference is that all the other parts where pretty clean from the Chemdip and there was not much for the UC to react with.

So far the only real hand cleaning I've done is to scrape all the brown junk stuck where the o-rings sit.

1990 VN 750
I've done:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement