throttle cables? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

throttle cables?

Here's a new problem...in the ongoing saga. I purchased my '86 VN750 which looked to be in immaculate shape, absolutely clean, no rust. It sat for a couple of years, rust in the tank, etc. I found what I think was the problem. The fuel shutoff vacuum was plugged solid. I removed the backing plate, replaced the diaphragm, replaced the rubber "washer" with 4 holes on the other side of the shutoff valve, and it seems to be perfect. Because his original problem was not getting enough fuel, and stalling, and after looking inside the carbs and seeing them look like brand new...no crud that I could see while still on the bike ( did I mention this guy really takes care of his stuff?) I decided not to rebuild, but to just put it all back together, to see if it runs, before actually attempting a rebuild. I went to lubricate the cables, and I noticed that the throttle cable that wraps around the top ( not the one that causes the throttle to snap back shut) was really loose, I pulled on it, and about 12" of cable easily slid out of the sheath. I'm assuming that cable is broken inside the sheath. Is it possible that the bike ran and rode fine with that cable broken? What does that cable do? I have the manual and it says that one is for opening the throttle and one closes it, so I imagine it is the one that opens the throttle, but how would it work when it "pushes" instead of pulling? Is it a bad idea to even try to finish putting it back together, just to see if it will start? Is purchasing a used throttle cable on ebay a no no? The wife is really not happy that I've already spent a few hundred dollars on a bike that I only paid $200.00 for in the first place. ( that's why I want to put it back together, and only fix what is really wrong, and not keep replacing what it "could be") I know it had OLD fuel.... lots of rust inside the tank ( recoated) plugs ( replaced) oil & filter ( changed) antifreeze ( changed, but will flush once it's running) plug wires...one broken, (replaced them all) air filters missing ( replaced) shutoff plugged ( rebuilt) Brakes ( replaced front and back) needs tires, but won't replace them until can actually get it running ......... I've ridden, have my endorsement, but this is the first bike I've owned, and really just want to get it on the road. I'll fart with rebuilding the carbs this winter, unless they absolutely need it.

It looks to me like the cable that is attatched is allowing the throttle to open and close, but my main concern is that it won't take off running, red line and do any further damage. Can anyone help me? I have both the Haynes and Clymers mauals , but am just concerned, stuck, and just plain anxious to get this thing running.

For clarification. I WILL replace the cable before I take it out on the street.... I just want to make sure it is running, before I spend any more cash, and end up sleeping on the couch with the dog again.

Thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Cables were, fairly, inexpensive at a few shops near me. About $12 each I believe. I know that is a bitch when you're already into it a good hunk of money but It's something I would've replaced on a used bike purchase anyhow. I wouldn't worry about the redline issue in any event. Just flip the kill switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement