1985 Kawasaki Vulcan (VN700?) HELP!?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

1985 Kawasaki Vulcan (VN700?) HELP!??

OK, heres the deal.

Bought a bike off CL for $500. Ran fine, little clutch slippage, stator is on its last leg/already went bad/idk.

i drove the bike before i bought it so i know it runs. Didnt make any weird noises, handled fine, looked good for being 25 years old.

The idea was to turn this into a bobber. Well i got it home and started to try to get it to run better, look better, etc.

Im mechanically inclined, but stators and rectifiers, and whatnot confuse me and im at a standstill. So what im saying is i need a mechanic that knows older carb'd bikes thats willing to come over for a few beers, and help me diag the problem/s.

I started taking un-necessary **** off the bike
-stock air box
-stock seat
-horn
-fenders
-i lowered it
-turn signals
-brake light etc..

The bike was running before i disassembled anything..

For me to get the stock airbox out, i had to removed the harness from atop the frame (under the gastank). well the plugs are 1 of a kind, so i can plug those back in with no problems, but after i plugged them back it the bike would not start.

I smell gas, and my petcock/gaslines are NOT clogged. I have spark, but the bike will not start.

Now the battery is dead, and i need a trickle charger to do anything.

Could the stator just finally **** the bed and that would cause it not to start? The bike DID turn over quick like the battery was fine, but its been sitting for a month and i want to get back to working on it. so NOW the battery is dead as **** piss.

I need some help. and possibly a house call?! I wanna be riding this thing come spring/summer time!!!

Any help will be appreciated!!

(posted on another local forum and this is a response i got)

"first things first, it's only going to run so well, if at all, without the airbox on it, unless you rejet the carbs (and you're gonna have to go WAY up on the mains to get it right). there's your first (and probably biggest) problem. The stock carbs need some sort of intake restriction to run with the stock jetting.

Unfortunately your particular bike has a very odd carb setup. Not harder to jet, just more of a pain in the ass. you really need some sort of filters, and even with pod filters, you're going to need to up AT LEAST one size up on the pilot jets, and as much as 10 up on the mains, along with playing with the mixture screws. You're also going to lose some lower rpm power running sans-airbox probably, (but it'll scream at upper rpm).

and no, a dead stator won't keep it from running, just keep it from charging. it'll only run until the battery voltage drops down enough to not be able to run the CDI. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 PM

First, welcome. THese guys here are the best at the Vulcan. They will chime in here shortly.

You might want to go and update your profile with a location. After all, coming from Denver to Florida would require hard liquor. (hahaha)

I would start by checking all the grounds on the bike. Make sure all conections are tight, and also make sure that none of the wiring has been chaffed by all the movement.

Make sure that you get a good charge on the battery. Most of us here use an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery. Better cca's. Also will want the irridium spark plugs. They make life (and starting ) easier.

Oh, yea, and before I forget, make sure you use Moly60 grease on the drive splines, the 700 - 750 bikes seem to have missed that part of the process at the factory.

GOod luck, and hope to here it was something simple.

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You can jump it off a car battery to start it, just be sure the car engine isn't running. you could fry the bikes electronics if it is.

Have you checked the fuses and the ground contacts as suggested above? I would go back through the harness, clean all the connections with plastic safe electronic cleaner spray and apply dielectric grease to the contacts before reinstalling. Sounds like something didn't get put back together right.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

fuses are good. the bike has power and turns over, just dosent start and run.

should i start with re-jetting the carbs, and pod filters?

i already did new gas, plugs, etc....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Good spark at the plugs? If it sat for a while before you bought it, the carbs could be dirty. The idle knob could be out of adjustment too.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Take a plug out, lay it on the cylinder with the wire attached, and crank the bike. If it sparks (should be nice, blue and strong) it has fire... and you can look at the fuel side of the equation.

As for ripping and tearing all the crap loose without really knowing what you are ripping and tearing....

Anyway, I believe the fuel petcock on these bikes is vacuum operated. If you unhooked the vacuum line from the fuel petcock, it might not flow any fuel.

To test for fuel, drop maybe a 1/4 teaspoon of fuel in the spark plug hole, and see if the engine wants to hit. If it does, chances are, it was lacking fuel.

05 VN750
Iridium Plugs
Spline Lubed front/rear
ignition pickups gapped
AGM Battery
Relocated MOSFET R/R
Coaster Mod
Pilot Screws at 2-1/4 turns
Slipstreamer S-08 Windshield
F&S Saddlebags/Mounts
Luggage Rack
12V Outlet
Mustang Seat
sissy bar
Oversized Pirelli Front Tire
6k miles

PW50, XR50, TTR90, XR100, DT175 (2-smoker), CRF230F, XR250R (dual sported), XR400R 4 KIDS, LOL!

1966 mustang street/strip
4-speed, nitrous
[email protected] 135.6
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Good spark at the plugs? If it sat for a while before you bought it, the carbs could be dirty. The idle knob could be out of adjustment too.
I drove it before i bought it.

First thing i did when i got it home was drain the gas and put new gas in it.

The only thing i did that involved the motor was removed the harness out of the way to take the airbox off, then 30 minutes later put the harness back on (i had no missing plugs, or anything)

i tried to start her back up and it cranked and cranked, checked spark it was hitting good, smelled gas, saw it coming out of the gas line.

i know im getting gas, and spark. Now the question is...choke, idle, amount of gas, and battery strength.

I will check these shortly when the batter finishes charging.

plus im waiting on my struts to get here so i can get theis mother off the jack thats holding it up! they should be here today or tomorrow!

Ill post pics of that too!

thanks guys!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 AM

Well, just a tiny bit of info that might help you when trying to start it... My VN700 starts the best by using full choke when the bike is cold (when I first hop into it, not really about the weather) and if I've already been riding and make a stop or something, it will start right up with no choke at all. I don't have to use the throttle at all in either case.

In your case I know that you do have to re-jet the carbs to make it run right because you took out the air box, but I don't really know if this would be severe enough to not let it start at all, or if it would only affect how well it performs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

another thing..

how much would i have to "rejet" the carbs if i run pod filters?

im going to take them to a local bike shop and have them do the work, but i need to know what to tell them.

Any tips?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Send lance328 a PM telling him what filters and exhaust system you will run and the elevation above sea level where you live. He will tell you what jets you need.

Old Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement