Engine Dies at stop signs. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Engine Dies at stop signs.

I took my gal out for her maiden voyage today, and she did not want to start, had to crank on her a while, and had to leave the choke on for a bit till the rpm's started to come up. Let her sit till she warmed up good, and took off.
After I rode about a mile she started acting up, and at idle when I would go to accelerate she would bog down real bad. Took her through town, and at every stop sign she would die on me. Throttle was sluggish after take off, and I would have to give her a fair amount of throttle on take off or she would die. She would start right back up, and I noticed she was backfiring out both cylinders on deceleration. So, this next week, I get to pull the carbs. I am going to drill out the plugs on the mixture screws, and readjust them and see if that helps. She did sit all summer at the dealerahip, and she has a full tank of fuel.
The plugs have some buildup on them, so they wil be replaced this week as well.
She will get a full service.
Anything I should look at when I have her on the centerstand?
Will post any findings on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 07:32 PM

check all the vaccuum lines and the hoses going to carbs for air leaks
that fixed a lot of my probs also run seafoam through the gas tank

My Enuf.
1995 Vulcan 750
New wires and plugs
Removed and cleaned carbs
re routed air line to right ear
re built transmission
New stator
New RR
New throttle cables
New clutch cable
New wiring harness
New Ignition switch
TIME to Ride
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Carbs may be gummed up from sitting. Sea Foam may fix it. If you don't have them, get iridium spark plugs from an auto parts store. Really help starting, along with an AGM battery.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Carbs may be gummed up from sitting. Sea Foam may fix it. If you don't have them, get iridium spark plugs from an auto parts store. Really help starting, along with an AGM battery.
Get the NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 plugs

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I plan on cleaning the carbs, and I will check for vacuum leaks. I have a set of Bosch Platinum + 4 plugs in my Jimmy, would they work in my bike?? I had a heck of an improvement in both fuel mileage, and performance.
I didn't know if they would be too hot for the engine or not. If you aren't familiar with them, they have 4 electrodes, and they are awesome.
They are pricey tho, the ones in my Jimmy were almost $7.00 each.
I plan on degoating it, and having the pipes made locally, and am going to have a crossover pipe added to them with a bracket fabbed for the centerstand.
Does anyone have any idea why they made the exhaust pipes staggered instead of even on both sides?? Mine are off about 6 inches, and I don't like the looks of them.
Thanks for reading my posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM

I removed the standard plugs that came in the bike and replaced with iridiums along with an AGM. Have never had a problem getting the bike to start, hot or cold. The iridiums will last the life of the bike, so even though they are initially expensive (around $7 each), the total cost is low.

The pipes are about the same length from the cylinder to the tip, so I'm assuming it was done to "balance" them. But I've been wrong before.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I`m sure you can cross reference Bosch platinum plugs to fit the Vulcan. I have NGK platinum plugs in my `92 Olds with a 3.8L V-6. When I checked them last summer with 60K (or was that 80K) kilometers accumulated on them, they looked like new. There was NO electrode erosion. Platinum is almost as hard as iridium, and will last a long time too. I expect these to last another 100K kilometers at least.

I recommend the NGK Iridium plugs because NGK plugs are OEM for all the Big 4 Japanese motorcycle companies I believe. They will also cost as much as your Bosch did for the Jimmy. A neighbor put some cheap store brand plugs in a Suzuki 850 he bought for commuting 120 miles to work in Calgary, about 20 years ago and the bike ran like crap. He changed them out again the next weekend after only a little over a thousand miles of riding. The new brand name plugs made it run like a new machine.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I will go with the Iridium plugs then if they are closer to the OEM type for the bikes.
I took her out for a ride Monday, and she ran great. Was still hard to start, but after she warmed up, I rode her for about 20 miles, and had no problems with acceleration or dying at the stop signs. I had pulled the tank and checked the vacuum and fuel lines, and all seemed good. I am going to replace all of the lines this winter and clean the carbs alonf with plug wires and boots. Mine are a little worn and cracked.
Moroso makes a good wire wound plug wire with little resistance, will they affect any of the ignition systems on the bike from EMF? They are a great wire but they added a lot of noise in my car stereo.
It looks like I will have to go over her this winter from front to back. New fork seals, clean and grease the triple tree bearings, check the wheel bearings, and check the swingarm bearings.
I have done a lot of forum reading on here, and have come up with some great ideas of mods for the bike, and I will post pics when I am done.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

It was a nice day today, so I went out and removed the aluminum plugs from the mixture screws on my carbs.
Front cylinder screw was 1.25 turns out, and the rear was 3 turns out. I set them both at 2.5, and if it's nice this weekend, I will take her for a ride.
I pulled the air filters today as well, and they are both shot, so I will be replacing them with some K&N's. Thought about doing an earshave, but don't want to hassle with the carbs.
My throttle seems to be rather tight when I twist the grip, is that normal for these bikes? It don't stick, just seems awful hard to twist it. Is there anything I can do to help other than lubing the cables? I thought about changing the spring near the carbs, but I most likely won't be able to find one that has a little less tension on it.
Thanks for taking the time to read my posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 AM

I got my bike cheap because the PO didn't like the "sticky" throttle. Turned out to be a frayed throttle cable. Check the cable and replace or lube as needed; may fix your problem!

Old Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement