VN750 Suddenly Runs Badly - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
IBEW 915 Electrician

VN750 Suddenly Runs Badly

Took my VN750 out for a ride came back to the house. I stopped the bike, shut it off was gone not even for a minute. Came back, started the bike and rode off. Got about 100 yards down the street and the bike started to pop and backfire no RPMs. Barely managed to get back around the block to the house. Shut the bike off called a riding buddy to compare notes. Five minutes later I started the bike like nothing ever happened, RPM normal.

I recently had the carbs reworked, the plugs changed and the tank drained. Since then I have made a point of not letting my bike sit more than a couple days without riding. Using the Seafoam, too. I'm going riding this weekend and I would like to know if this was a passing glitch or am I facing a breakdown on the road.

Any ideas?

Butch

'01 Vulcan 750
Irridium Plugs
MF Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:08 AM

Garage
Gremlins? Get a gremlin bell. lol

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Could have been some crud in the carb that settled or worked its way out. Hard to say. You said the tank was drained. Was there any rust in it?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Garage
Check the vent on the gas cap also.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM

My 750 has done the same. Sometimes goes months w/o trouble. When it does it, I open the drains on the carbs and the problem seems to go away. I have cleaned out the tank and filters and I think there are gremlins in the Chevron Station's tank!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 AM

fuel injector cleaner works a treat tip a bottle in your tank and cleans the whole system

bike
1986 vn 750
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM

deleted

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-26-2013 at 01:21 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Sounds like maybe a little water got in from maybe some bad gas or something similar. Or it could have been a bit of crud. If there is any rust forming in the tank I would take care of that asap. You're already using seafoam which I highly recommend so unless it keeps happening on and off, I'd chalk it up to a gremlin. If it happens again, especially soon, I'd drain the tank into something you can inspect for bits of crud, rust or water in the fuel.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hctublerub View Post
Took my VN750 out for a ride came back to the house. I stopped the bike, shut it off was gone not even for a minute. Came back, started the bike and rode off. Got about 100 yards down the street and the bike started to pop and backfire no RPMs. Barely managed to get back around the block to the house. Shut the bike off called a riding buddy to compare notes. Five minutes later I started the bike like nothing ever happened, RPM normal.

I recently had the carbs reworked, the plugs changed and the tank drained. Since then I have made a point of not letting my bike sit more than a couple days without riding. Using the Seafoam, too. I'm going riding this weekend and I would like to know if this was a passing glitch or am I facing a breakdown on the road.

Any ideas?

Butch
First, I would check the gas vent and vent line for signs of blockage (POOGS), since the process only takes a few minutes. Then check the battery connections.

The symptoms described have happened to me three times. The first time turn out to be full blown POOGS, second was a loose negative battery connection and the last was a mystery, but has never returned (I considered it to be water or some other contaminant in the fuel).

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctublerub View Post

Any ideas?

Butch
I'm going to take a different approach from your other answers and say I believe it's an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement