06 SLOW throttle response - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

06 SLOW throttle response

Hey Guys

My 06 vulcan only has 8k miles on it, so I thinking sitting has a lot to do with my problem. Also just couple days ago I washed it a wand wash and rode it dry. All of the sudden today (first ride after wash) on my way to work it seems like it was taking the throttle a long time to close. I got to playing with it at lunch today and it appears the throttle shafts are snapping back shut with engine off. While riding down the road though it acts like I'm keeping the throttle open some between shifts about 4k rpm, and the bike has littl/no engine braking for the first 5 or 6 seconds after closing the throttle, not just releasing it but forcing it closed. I ran the tank well into reserve and filled back up with premium no ethanol and a healthy shot of seafoam. Considering a shot of wd40 on the throttle shafts. Any Suggestions????

Thanks

Look where your going not where you've been!

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Usually after a good cleaning and if you clean the gunk off the carbs you should give them a good dose of silicone or spray lubricant. There are a lot of moving parts on the carbs that need lube to move freely.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Old Fart

Garage
What he said^.... and do not use premium gas ...waste of money and can actually gunk up the motor more than regular. Seafoam however is a good move.

Wouldn't hurt to lube the throttle cables too, along with the throttle sleeve.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM

So here is my super simple thought (since most my problems stem from the 'duh' side of issues):

If the mechanics of the throttle seem to be working with the engine off, and you just washed the bike before you noticed this, do you think you may have accidentally bumped into your idle screw?

It would account for it acting like you had the throttle up a bit at lights after the engine has warmed up and it would also explain why the engine braking isn't working as well since the rpms are higher.

Just a thought.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

my top end rattles enough for me to hear it WOT with 87 or 89. I've tried several brands with and with out ethanol and local 87 straight even feels different. I realize the 87 is supposed to give a bigger boom but my baby balks in several different ways when I try it.

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

My idle screw is super stiff and i've adjustcouple times. No obvious problems in filter boxes, no trash and lightly oiled. Carb entrances are clean and shiny but givem a strong soaking in gumout anyway. Lubed everything I could find with kroil. I should probably by a kit and lube cables may get into that after it gets cold!. The bad news is it's not fixed but it is better! I'm thinking about pulling air cleaners and load it with gumout at about 3k to get into the deeper parts but kind of worried there might be something in the box or the gumout eating the box under the tank to prevent this. Anyway if it spent more time on the road instead of covered in the garage it probably wouldn't have this problem anyway. Thanks for the pointers!!!!

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdif View Post
My idle screw is super stiff and i've adjustcouple times.

The screw shouldn't be that stiff. It needs to be stiff enough not to vibrate out of adjustment, but it sounds like yours is too stiff.

No obvious problems in filter boxes, no trash and lightly oiled. Carb entrances are clean and shiny but givem a strong soaking in gumout anyway.

Have you tried Sea Foam? Lots of folks here use it to clean the carbs, remove moisture from fuel, stabilize for storage, and other things. Very versitile product, and it doesn't harm plastic or rubber like some other carb products.

Lubed everything I could find with kroil. I should probably by a kit and lube cables may get into that after it gets cold!.

You can save some money on the cable lube kit. Disconnect the cable ends, poke the top through the corner of a zip lock bag, tape it shut, and add your lubricant of choice to the bag. Have someting on the bottom to catch what runs out.

The bad news is it's not fixed but it is better! I'm thinking about pulling air cleaners and load it with gumout at about 3k to get into the deeper parts but kind of worried there might be something in the box or the gumout eating the box under the tank to prevent this. Anyway if it spent more time on the road instead of covered in the garage it probably wouldn't have this problem anyway. Thanks for the pointers!!!!
Hope this helps.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Have about 4oz seafoam in this fresh tank straight gas. By super stiff I mean I can see NO chance in accidentally turning it. Also the ziplock lube idea just any spray type? Any preferences from the group? I like the economical idea. Thanks

06 VN750
gutted mufflers
E3s
soft bags
windscreen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Oil works fine with this system.

If you are trying to do a serious carb clean, 1/2 a can Of Sea Foam per tank is a fairly standard dose around here. Three ounces is considered maintenance cleaning. You can also drain the gas from the carbs and refill with straight Sea Foam. Drain the Sea Foam before trying to crank the bike.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
kay
carbon unit

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garage
I had the same problem so here's my two cents worth...

your air cut valves (part #43028) could be at fault. Good news is that they can be replaced without removing the carbs.

You might need to drill out the -PILOT AIR SCREW PLUGS and adjust the PILOT AIR SCREWS to 3 turns out.

Not sure which one did the trick but I no longer had the problem after I did those two things.

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1

Last edited by kay; 09-26-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement