B-12 vs Seafoam - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

B-12 vs Seafoam

I think I remember some people here mention B-12 at some point and was wondering if anyone has found it to be better than, not as good as or pretty much the same as Seafoam.

The reason I ask is because I was at Wally world yesterday getting some oil and noticed that the B-12 was about $6 cheaper than Seafoam for the same size can.

The Wal-mart near me sells a can of Seafoam for around $9, and a can the same exact size of B-12 for around $3. So I'm just curious if anyone has used it or not. I'm a Seafoam junkie, using it about ever other fill up or so, so if I can get a cheaper product that works just as good, it would help save me money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Old Truck Junkie

A while back I was cleaning some gummed up carbs off a yammy. I poured some seafoam to soften up the gunk, even over night the gunk did not clean up. I used b-12 and right away it softened and I was able to clean the gunk by rubbing the parts with my fingers. However; one does not want to leave the b-12 in the carb for long periods of time. It can be too strong on some of the carb parts. Especially on the rubber parts and gaskets. IMO

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM

I use B-12 chemtool to clean carburators (arosol form) they do make an additive like sea-foam but I do not know how well it does. I do feel Berryman products or of very high quality and would trust them any day.

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
A while back I was cleaning some gummed up carbs off a yammy. I poured some seafoam to soften up the gunk, even over night the gunk did not clean up. I used b-12 and right away it softened and I was able to clean the gunk by rubbing the parts with my fingers. However; one does not want to leave the b-12 in the carb for long periods of time. It can be too strong on some of the carb parts. Especially on the rubber parts and gaskets. IMO
Yeah that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I trust leaving Seafoam in the tank. If B-12 is as strong as you say it is, I would worried about rubber parts and gaskets getting eatten away if I left it in the tank.

I guess I'll just stick with Seafoam. Hasn't done me wrong so far. I was just trying to find a cheaper alternative that still did the job well.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 AM

sea foam at my wally world is about $9.50. at the local Rural King (farm supply store) its $6.50, they usually have it on sale for $6.00

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM

Seafoam is good but I have been using K100-mg and it does a better job. Seafaom has been out for years and has done a great job since but now with the E10 fuel mix there are issues that seafoam doesn't cover. K100 was formulated for the ethanol mixed gas issues such as separation and other sediments that seafoam doesn't get. I know in the warmer states cold temps aren't an issue but here in Maine and northern states when it gets below 40 the ethanol will seperate from the gas as it does just from setting for a few weeks. K100-mg keeps it from doing this. In an old post I had the results of tests that I did but check out the website and see for yourself.

http://www.k100online.com/mm5/mercha...tore_Code=KFTO

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
I just got back from Northern Tool here in Ft Worth...they have sea foam for 6.98 a can...i bought 6. Thats the cheapest i can find right now. Autozone has it for like 10 bucks.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750_DawgsFan View Post
Yeah that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I trust leaving Seafoam in the tank. If B-12 is as strong as you say it is, I would worried about rubber parts and gaskets getting eatten away if I left it in the tank.

I guess I'll just stick with Seafoam. Hasn't done me wrong so far. I was just trying to find a cheaper alternative that still did the job well.
I think you are getting two sepperate products confused. The "b12 chemtool" is a arosol product use to clean the carburator when disassembled. berryman (the manufactures of b12) also makes a product similars to sea foam named b12 as well to add in the tank that will not hurt rubbers. Like I said before the are a superior brand company so you should be able to expect good results. is it better than Sea foam I do not know but i would be willing to try it.

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot.....after my father-in-law gives me his truck lol. Right now the bike is my daily ride so if some unforseeable disaster happens, I'm screwed.

Not saying something will go wrong, but if it does, I would rather it happen after I have another ride to get to work.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to priest1981 Send a message via Skype™ to priest1981
I have a 1980 Honda cb900c that I have used b12 and Startron in and I have not had any problems from them. That being said I have also not seen any noticable improvments in how the bike rides, fuel economy, or how it starts. So my two cents is save your money and just treat the gas before storage.

Will

1980 CB900 Custom
With Vetter Fairing

2000 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750

2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement