right carb flooding? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

right carb flooding?

Hey everyone its been a while for me, luckily that means for me at least that I have had very few problems with Zowie (my vulcan) over the last couple of years.

Well I am back with a new problem and I am looking for some brainstorming help on finding a solution to my problem.

Recently my bike has started stalling out after about 5 mins on the bike while sitting at stop lights. To keep the bike going I have to rev it up to around 3000 rpms. I can smell gas as it is stalling out so I am guessing this means that it is flooding.

A little more information: I have recently moved from Utah to Mississippi, so there is a significant elevation change. My bike has been degoated but i have not rejetted or anything.

Concerning the elevation change though I rode the bike for a couple of months down here without any problems now this stalling out/flooding happens about every day now.

Also the flooding appears to be only happening on the right side, but i could be mistaken about that.

Also I can kind of compensate for the quick flooding by switching my petcock to be somewhere in between the off and the on position to decrease the amount of gas, but this concerns me because obviously this shouldn't be the natural position of the petcock, and also if the right is flooding but not the left then by changing it to this position the left will be getting a lean mix.

Anyway I am back in school and barely have any time to look at it but i just wanted to get some ideas before i tore into the bike or the carbs so i didn't waste any time.

Thanks in advance for any and all help given
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 AM

Have you run any seafoam or K-100mg in the gas lately? If not give it a good dose with a full tank and run it for a bit to get it into the carbs and let it set over night or a couple days. Then take it out for a good ride and get out on some good roads where you can run her out of city traffic. Also check to see if the tank vent is not plugged. This is the vent under the gas cap that goes down under the seat. Carefully spray some carb cleaner down in there and see if it drips out under the bike. If that is plugged it will create pressure, force fumes out the cap, and make the bike stall out. Either way these are maintenance procedures and will be cheaper to try first.

When you say right carb. Are you talking about the smell or exhaust running rough? Setting on the bike the right side carb runs the rear cylinder and the left side runs the front. When it does this put your hand by the exhaust to see which one is running different/rough.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube

Last edited by baldy; 09-14-2010 at 08:37 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM

Sea foam would probally do it, but in it's current state i personal do not believe it is safe to ride being a fire hazard. you problem is in the float system. you are either not getting a good seal as the bowl fill up causing fuel to freely run out the main jet or you float has a crack from age in it cause the float to fill with fuel and stay constantly sunk. the only way to tell is to take them apart and check you floats to see if they have fuel in them. and while you are in there clean them with b12 chem tool and run pipe cleaners through all the holes. that is just keeping it basic but use the free manual on here to help you through disasembly and reasembly.

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzhardy View Post
Sea foam would probally do it, but in it's current state i personal do not believe it is safe to ride being a fire hazard. you problem is in the float system. you are either not getting a good seal as the bowl fill up causing fuel to freely run out the main jet or you float has a crack from age in it cause the float to fill with fuel and stay constantly sunk. the only way to tell is to take them apart and check you floats to see if they have fuel in them. and while you are in there clean them with b12 chem tool and run pipe cleaners through all the holes. that is just keeping it basic but use the free manual on here to help you through disasembly and reasembly.
True but he said he can smell gas not see it. I would definitely not suggest running a bike with gas running out. My 93' has a plugged tank vent and when it builds pressure I can smell the fumes. That is why I suggested the quick fixes before pulling the carbs.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Could always try the screwdriver handle trick....... might unstick a float.....maybe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement