cleaning out CA smog stuff - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

cleaning out CA smog stuff

I am new to this forum.
I have seen several answers to how to clean out the Ca smog stuff from our bikes but most have been "just do it"
Could some one point me to the complete answer?
I have a CA. 2006. I am making a pair of coasters now and would like to get rid of the rest of the bird's nest under the tank.
Thanks,
wm43711
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
1992 VN 750

I have a 1992 CA model and removed the CA Smog stuff as soon as I got my bike. Be sure to leave the second rubber hose from the rear of the gas tank on the bike and route it down towards the ground probably through the separator it currently runs through and plug the line on the top that goes away when you disconnect the smog canister, certainly do not route straight onto your Goat's belly, in the event the tank does vent some when the gas expands inside the tank. Now...the rest of the hoses come from the reed valves into an air regulator that sits under the seat. When you coaster the bike you can remove these hoses and the air regulator all together or simply leave it in place doing nothing. There is also a small vacuum hose running from the right side carb to the air regulator....pull that hose and plug with a small hose and a bolt or a plastic cap from some auto parts store that fits snugly onto the brass nipple. I think there also might have been a hose the same size as the reed valve hoses that ran from under the air box into that air regulator...I plugged it as well and it merely sits in the same place serving no purpose at all. But it needs to be plugged in order to keep the correct amount of air flowing through the air box. Now, you can remove the smog box that sits under your seat entirely and get rid of it with no detriment to performance or keep it in place in the unlikely event you ever move to the land of Fruit and Nuts and have to reconnect everything.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1992-kawasaki-motorcycle-vulcan-750-vn750a8l-ca-air-filter/o/m4558sch53805[/url]

Above is the link to the air filter schematic...you need to remove the parts referred to in the box labeled "CA.US".

As far as the Smog canister itself goes...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m4558sch55039

Part number 16164 needs to go away...and 16165 is the separator I mentioned.

I think someone told me to just get rid of it all completely when I first got this bike and that is what I did. No issues at all...

Good luck! If you have any further questions be sure to send me a note, or if I led you astray here I am sure someone will pipe up toot sweet and correct me, but till then, have fun working on your ride.

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs
MOSFET R/R

Last edited by bordolover; 08-10-2010 at 07:13 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

To clarify the tank vents: the left (blue) hose remains, and the right (red) hose should be plugged.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,
Now I have a better
idea as to what I can take off and what to leave.
wm43711
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
1992 VN 750

If anything comes up...get in touch! Or, as I was told...just take it all off and ride it like you stole it.

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs