Could this be something other than POOGS? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
'93 VN 750

Question Could this be something other than POOGS?

Background:
Recent carb cleaning, synced carbs, lots of Seafoam, removed the 2 small red diaphrams in the gas cap and sprayed cleaner to clear vent line under gas cap (after reading about POOGS), replaced the spark plug cap on front by throttle cables, sprayed cleaner on plug wires to see if any problems (no problems - kept running fine with no stalling), replaced vent hose from left carb to petcock, right carb vent hose is plugged (bike has been coastered).

I have easy cold start in the mornings (with Choke ON), smooth idle, smooth and fast acceleration, easy warm start after a drive, but around 5000 rpm and higher it feels like its struggling for enough fuel...sputtering, almost stalling, etc... (this will happen in any gear) It almost sounds like only half the motor is running, because I can pull in the clutch and rev it but it does not sound like it should (sounds weak - hard to explain in writing). Usually I can twist the throttle to open up all the way and keep going around 60 mph in top gear. At times this will continue for a mile or so with the bike sputtering and jerking the whole way, until I close the throttle and slow down. Then after I slow down to around 40 mph, I can speed back up to 55+ until the problem returns (which may take only a minute or two but sometimes longer).

Keep reading for more weirdness...
Here's one of the main things that has me puzzled as it relates to POOGS. This problem occurs regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. It happens as I'm leaving the gas station and the next day when I'm at 3/4 tank or lower. (I've read that POOGS is common around 1/2 tank)

The other thing that has me confused is that this only seems to happen when its really HOT outside. I live in Florida. This "almost-out-of-gas-sputtering" problem has NEVER happened when I'm riding early morning or late evening (when its cooler outside, 70-80 degrees), but it happens every day when I'm going home from work around 5pm...(yes its still 90+ degrees then) I've only had this bike for 1 month so I haven't had the chance to see what happens when the weather is colder (guess I'll have to wait until November for that to happen

I need some help and insight on this one, PLEASE!!

93 VN750
Coastered
Cobra exhaust
R/R Relocation
35k mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I used to have that problem when hot weather as you say. I don't know what fixed it.
What I would try is to open the tank and let the pressure out before starting the engine.
I am thinking that the high pressure is pushing extra fuel into the carbs and flooding the carbs.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
'93 VN 750

Thanks, I'll try opening the gas cap today before I start it up. How long does it need to be open? Would it matter if I open it and then start it and let it run for a minute with the cap open?

I have been riding with a spare key in the tank and tried opening when it started to hesitate, while going down the road. I'm not sure if that helped or not because the problem persisted even with the cap open, but it never fully stalled as long as I held the throttle wide open.

93 VN750
Coastered
Cobra exhaust
R/R Relocation
35k mi

Last edited by CDUB; 07-22-2010 at 03:25 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Just open it and close it.
Mine would run like it was flooded. I had to open up the throttle to keep the engine from stalling. As long as I had the throttle open all the way it would run. After a little bit it would settle down and run right.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM

I know I keep bringing this one up.. but I missed it before..well acctualy 2 times now... the little hose that goes into the right ear(filter box).. insure that it is in the bow and that it is not bottemed out...if its is not in the box.. like mine was.. twice...it seems to get to much air while riding.. and almost sucks the fule up into the hose.. crazy I know.. but think of it like a straw in a soda can.. you can blow accross the top of it and it will suck soda up the straw... just a thought.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
'93 VN 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
I know I keep bringing this one up.. but I missed it before..well acctualy 2 times now... the little hose that goes into the right ear(filter box).. insure that it is in the bow and that it is not bottemed out...if its is not in the box.. like mine was.. twice...it seems to get to much air while riding.. and almost sucks the fule up into the hose.. crazy I know.. but think of it like a straw in a soda can.. you can blow accross the top of it and it will suck soda up the straw... just a thought.
I do not have a hose going into my right ear box. Should there be? I'm guessing that was something stock, before it was coastered?? My vent hose on my right carb is about an inch or so long and is plugged.

Is there another hose that I need to be concerned about?

Also, my vent hose in the middle of the carbs from the "T" is connected under the tank to the black plastic tube on the box that appears to be a cover plate for the gas level sensor area. I tried routing it other ways (under the seat, etc..) but it caused more rough running problems and made things worse. I put it back to where it was when I got the bike.

93 VN750
Coastered
Cobra exhaust
R/R Relocation
35k mi
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 PM

its the vent hose that goes to the carbs.. I dont belive this should be pluged.. there should be a T fitting between the carbs for the vent hose... sound like this might be missing or is redirected (I did this while doing some other work and forgot to put it back)...I however am not costered or have an ear shave... someone costered may need to step in here.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It sounds to me like there are some vacuum hoses/vent hoses crossed somewhere. I would try to get with someone in the area who has the 750 and see if you can identify the problem. There is a difference between vacuum hoses and vent hoses, and there should be a vent hose connecting to your right ear that lets the carb bowl stay at a nominal pressure. If that hose is free wheeling or is bottomed out or plugged, it will effect the way the carb fills with fuel and how the engine runs. I'd do a shout out to other riders in your area on here and see who's around...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDUB View Post

Also, my vent hose in the middle of the carbs from the "T" is connected under the tank to the black plastic tube on the box that appears to be a cover plate for the gas level sensor area. I tried routing it other ways (under the seat, etc..) but it caused more rough running problems and made things worse. I put it back to where it was when I got the bike.
That is the hose... sounds like it has been moved.. I think what is happeneing is that once you get up to speed it gets too much air and that causes your issue...try and move that hose back to the right ear.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
'93 VN 750

what size is that hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
That is the hose... sounds like it has been moved.. I think what is happeneing is that once you get up to speed it gets too much air and that causes your issue...try and move that hose back to the right ear.
I'll be sure to try this tonight, but I'm sure the hose is not long enough to go all the way over to the ear. Anyone know what size that hose is because I'll have to stop and buy one on my way home today? (5/16 or 1/4 or ???)

Why would it be bad to have that hose from the "T" going under the tank as opposed to going inside the right ear box?

93 VN750
Coastered
Cobra exhaust
R/R Relocation
35k mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement