airbox - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

airbox

hello again. helppppppWe are currently working on a 1995 VN750
trying to get to carbs so we can work on choke. HOW do we get the airbox out of the way. bike runs then surges then dies.. anyone have a virtual pistol to shoot it and put it and us out of misery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Calif Rider

I may be wrong but as far as I have read about the air box.. I have not done this myself, but the engine has to removed, or you cut it out of the bike frame. It goes in first before the engine is installed. As for getting the carbs out to work on them it can be done gut a big pain. Look up carbs removel in the search area top right of page.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
weh44att is right... the only way to get that darned air box out is to drop the engine or cut it out. removing the carbs is a pita with the airbox in place.. which is the number one reason people go with an ear shave.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
hello again. helppppppWe are currently working on a 1995 VN750
trying to get to carbs so we can work on choke. HOW do we get the airbox out of the way. bike runs then surges then dies.. anyone have a virtual pistol to shoot it and put it and us out of misery
Do you want to see the bike go?? Or do want to go first?? lol

Are you planning on going back with the air box?? If so don't remove it. It can be removed whole with the engine in place, but it is not easy. You will have to remove some water lines and work out backwards.

02 honda sabre 1100

Last edited by niterider; 07-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

The surge tank can be removed without dropping the engine......but you do have to remove water lines and some electrical connectors, and even then it's a PITA. But you don't have to remove the surge tank to get the carbs out, at least not on my bike (before the ear shave) I cut my surge tank out with a saw when I did the ear shave
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

does the ear shave get rid of the need for the airbox>>
also we tried marbling today and the bike ran terribly hellllooooo
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Yes, the ear shave will get rid of the 'airbox'
I completely removed all the emissions off of my bike, it had the 'California' emissions on it too..... runs great without any of that crap on it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have a CA model, and removed ALL parts of both the air injection system and the evap system. That's a LOT of parts, about 20 pounds worth. But the bike runs great. You may have an air leak somewhere.

The airbox. You have 2 choices. You can cut up the airbox and remove it, then get a complete "earshave" kit, which includes all the parts to do the job right, including new carb jets.

Or if you want to keep the airbox, and the stock filter housings, you can get the carbs out by removing the gas tank, removing the rubber ducts that connect the carbs to the airbox (surge tank), then wrapping something around underneath the airbox and over the frame backbone tube to hold the airbox up out of the way, so you can get to the carbs. It's still a bit tight, but much easier. Loosen the clamps that hold the carbs to the manifolds, spray WD40 around the connections, and work them loose. Both carbs come out together. They are actually one piece. Leave all the cables on them until you get the carbs out, and make sure you put them back on before reinstalling the carbs. It is (almost) impossible to put the cables back on with the carbs in place.

But either way, all the crappy emissions garbage needs to go. My bike runs much better, and even a bit cooler, since I removed all that crap. If you remove the emissions crap and keep the airbox, you will need to plug 2 holes in the airbox, and a vacuum fitting on the rear carb. If you have 2 connections at the rear of the tank, just put longer hoses on them, and run them out underneath the bike somewhere, so the tank will be vented to the atmosphere as it should be. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 AM
freebird573

Send a message via Yahoo to freebird573
I just read about the "Ear Shave" Procedure, does it really produce better performance??
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird573 View Post
I just read about the "Ear Shave" Procedure, does it really produce better performance??
Yes.

(if done properly) your getting more air and fuel into the cylnder...more fuel, bigger bang, more power. We are not talking arm stretching power, perhaps another 2-3 hp overall.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement