Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Phantom Gas Solved 4 Me

Hey all! I've followed all the phantom gas threads for a while. When I had scarlet apart for the fix from the accident I totally cleaned & prepped the tank. I made sure that air vent was clean. I then dismantled my gas cap to inspect & clean it. Blew air through all the little holes I couldn't get to & removed the floppy detached gasket material that's in there. I'm certain that was my culpret. Hell, I've even got my reserve back. Sweet! Worth checking out if your having the phantom gas issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Does this mean that you're the new ghost buster?

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
I've cleaned my cap out and the vent line as well, but I'm still having issues. When you mention "removed the floppy detached gasket material that's in there" are you referring to the red-ish circles that act as backflow stops?

I have the smallest tank of anyone I ride with and they like to cruise a little fast so my mileage is an issue, having this problem makes it even worse- almost embarrassing sometimes.

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Some of the out of gas symptoms can also be caused by crud floating around your tank.

When I got my 01' I took the tank off and the petcock off and big chunks of stuff came out. I'm thinking if that is floating around and you get vaccum from the carbs and it can suck that crud onto the screens and stop fuel flow or at least slow it down enough to make the bike act up and when the bike shuts off the crud comes off and your off again. Also if you don't use the reserve much the water doesn't get perged from the tank either and a shot of water will kill a bike or slow it down anyways.

I know seafoam works on water and does a hell of a cleaning, but it doesn't totally get rid of it with this new ethynol mix because seafoam has been out long before ethynol and isn't really formulated to take care of the new problems. This is why I use the K100 mg it is formulated for the ethynol/fuel mix and makes water burn.

Also as I mentioned in previous threads, when I am on the highway I put the bike on reserve to get rid of any water that may be in there. The higher revs and steady throttle will keep the bike from stumbling if I get a good does of water.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube

Last edited by baldy; 07-13-2010 at 05:17 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The vaccuum hose that goes to the petcock from the carb has caused a problem simular to the phantom problem. A small leak in the hose will keep the feul from flowing into the carbs.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement