Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Throttle problem

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  KIMMERLING 
#1 ·
Hi again. Last thursday my bike started cutting out when I go to accelerate. It starts reall well, idles fine, sounds great until I go to pull away. When I open the throttle it just starts backfiring and stalls. It was working fine and now it's not. I have drianed the carbs twice and flushed through with carb cleaner, but still no better. I have checkd all the air intakes for leaks etc and nothing wrong there either. The only thing I have not done is pull the carbs and check the main jets, but as I still have the standard air system this is going to be the last thing I want to do as I have a torn shoulder muscle at the moment and it would be a little too much work right now. Has any one any ideas what might be causing the problem ?? Is there anyway of getting to the jets wthout removing the carbs?
Any help appreciated.

#2 ·
seems to have sorted itself out??

Just been and fired the bike up..still had the problem until I moved the throttle cables a bit away from the right hand plug cap. Bike fired up as normal and seems fine now (although still got to go for a ride to make absolutley sure) I did read somewhere on here that the throttle cable can short out this cap sometimes so I am really hoping that's all it has been. Still I am now a happy chap and looking forward to eating up some miles in the near future....
Have fun everyone.:motorcycl

#3 ·
It sounds like the metal wire on the throttle cables was arking on the plug wire. Hope that was the problem.

#4 ·
Seems I read a thread here where they recommended putting a (fuel?) hose around the cable to avoid this problem.

#5 ·
Thanks I will try that, for the time being I have wrapped the cable in insulation tape. So far this seems to have sorted out the problem although I am still witing to try the bike out. unfortunately I have ripped a shoulder muscle and have been told not to do anything to strain it for another couple of days. The bike sounds even better now though, ( maybe the carb flush and the seafoam are working) but it might be because I was shorting out the rh front plug all along. I will keep you all updated when I get back on the road............Take care everyone............

#6 ·
Hope that shoulder heals up soon!

#8 · (Edited)
Since putting rubber hoses around the throttle cables the firing problem has now gone away totally. The Seafoam has done its job and with the improved spark on the rh side alnost all the popping noised have dissapeared (slightly there on fast decelertaion, but that's normal on any bike) I am pleased to say that the bike now sounds like its got a new engine. Just for the recap I have now fitted splitfire plugs, (lifetime guarantee and easy starting) a manual tensioner on the front cylinder , new spring in rear tensioner, v&H cruzers with hardkore baffles,new Avon Venom tyres,new front brake pads, carb airscrew settings 2 3/4 lh side, 2 1/2 rh side, new air filters, seafamed the tank, and changed the oil every 1000 miles, (also some accessories mirrors, sissy bar, rack etc) I run premium unleaded gas as I find the bike just runs that bit better on it. It now returns about 50 miles per gallon, sound like a bike should and is alot of fun.
All these things were done at home with limited tools and knowledge. If your bikes running a bit rough there is usually a simple reason for it, do not be afraid to have a go...you may be surprised how simple it is to fix.
Oh yeah my shoulder is a lot better, still a litlle sore, but thanks to those who wished it better.
Take care and ride free...and have lots of fun....

#9 ·
I will go find some rubber hose asap. I worry about the potential arcing. I knew it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.