Choke Problems - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Choke Problems

My bike has been sitting for quite some time now. I just went out to start it up and do some minor adjustments. It has never run problem free since I pulled the engine. But it has run and started fine. Now when I start it I have problems with the choke. With the choke on (towards me) the bike wont start. If I adjust the idle to where it will start with the choke it revs to 5,000 RPM. I can start the bike and get it to idle as long as the choke is off (away from me). However, I have to use my throttle to get it to start. While it is running if I push the choke on (towards me) it kills it rather than increasing the rpm. What is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chainsaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
My bike has been sitting for quite some time now. I just went out to start it up and do some minor adjustments. It has never run problem free since I pulled the engine. But it has run and started fine. Now when I start it I have problems with the choke. With the choke on (towards me) the bike wont start. If I adjust the idle to where it will start with the choke it revs to 5,000 RPM. I can start the bike and get it to idle as long as the choke is off (away from me). However, I have to use my throttle to get it to start. While it is running if I push the choke on (towards me) it kills it rather than increasing the rpm. What is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
where do you live? I live in fl its 80+ 10 months a year. i have no need for a choke. if i put my choke on my bike too will stall. if your carbs are rich the choking is not the best idea.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm here in Texas and 9 months out of the year I use 1/4 - 1/2 choke for starts.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 AM

When your bike is running at temp. what is it idling at? It should only idle around 1000 to 1100 rpm. Pulling the choke on after it warms up cuts of air and adds more full so it floods it out a bit. Since turning out my fuel/air screws I can only use 1/2 choke in moderate temps above 70 and in colder temps below 60 requires full choke.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors