Fuel Reserve? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Reserve?

Several times, with around 100-110 miles on a tank, I have had to switch to reserve. Is this normal? Also, after switching to reserve It dies, and I get stranded for about three to five min. until it finily starts. I assume it is better to switch to reserve early or fillup more often. This is my first motorcycle.

94 with @ 8500mi
AGM Battery
Willie and Max sm. slant bags
Memphis Shield
Splines lubed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

Mine is on reserve all the time, opening up the lowest portion of the tank to feed the engine at all times. It just didn't make sense to me to do it otherwise. (folks have said... "but then you don't have any reserve" which just makes me smile) I can't speak to your gas mileage (which should average 45-50) but I fill up based on the mileage I've ridden and don't worry about switching anything. 'Nuff said.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

msh1156... you replied to my question before i could post it...
i was thinking the same thing, why even use the reserve since i get gas before the tank is empty anyway... and coasting in 5 lanes of traffic trying to flip the lever is not fun.

so.. if i start leaving the lever in reserve all the time.. is there any down-side to this? like more prone to leak or not getting all the main tanks gas out or anything?

96 Vulcan 750

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Columbus, Ohio

I first did not use the reserve, thinking heck, I have a fuel gauge and I monitor the mileage on the trip counter. Then I took a tour in a hilly region of the state where the hills affected my consumption, the remoteness affected gas availability, and I realized that I do not understand why my gas gauge works the way it does (slow top half, quick bottom half of the tank). Now I use the reserve, and yesterday, for the first time this season, I turned it to reserve because I had been doing daytime interstate driving and was faster and more aggressive than my normal ride, and so used more gas.

It is great for the day that your ride does not conform to your normal ride profile.

Also, if you work the lever occasionally, it does not dry rot.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum View Post
msh1156... you replied to my question before i could post it...
i was thinking the same thing, why even use the reserve since i get gas before the tank is empty anyway... and coasting in 5 lanes of traffic trying to flip the lever is not fun.

so.. if i start leaving the lever in reserve all the time.. is there any down-side to this? like more prone to leak or not getting all the main tanks gas out or anything?
My gas gauge does not work on my bike and from what I hear it isn't accurate enough to fix it.I run around 110 to 120 and when my bike starts to stumble and turn it to reserve before it dies and it smooths back out and i get fuel,turn back to run and reset my tripmeter to oooo.There is no main tank and reserve tank the pickup for the reserve is lower in the tank.It will not hurt your bike to run on reserve all the time but people like me need a reminder from time to time and when I switch to reserve it means, go get gas and it will hold about 2.6 gallons or so.It works for me.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 06-03-2010 at 03:39 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM

It sounds like maybe your tank may have some crud or water in it if it dies when switching to reserve?

I turn my reserve on occationally when on the highway just to clean out any water deposits that may be in there. I get around 140 to 160 miles out of a tank depending on driving conditions and fill up before having to hit reserve. Yesturday I had 120 miles on the ticker and it was just at the mid way mark and took 2.272 gals to top it off. Figured it up on a calculator and it got almost 53 mpg and I averaged 60 mph.

I did notice an improvement in my mileage when I switched to regular fuel too. Great deal, more miles cheaper gas!

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Range and gas mileage goes down quickly if you're running 70MPH or above. To answer your question of if this is normal, the answer is yes. Depending on how fast you were riding during that tank.
Lower RPM's equals longer range. But the actual extra distance that you'd get from going 60 to 65 isn't that much more anyway so why not have a ball and run it how you want?!
If I were going long distance riding and I knew the next station is a long way off I'd cruise slower to get that extra few miles but if I know there are plenty of chances for fuel stops I run it as fast as the law allows (sorta).
Range is not one of the positive factors of this bike. If you look in the Gallery section of this website and scroll through all of the really neat modifications people have done to their machines there is one fella, can't remember who right now, that did manage to install a larger tank on his. A 5+ gallon tank.
I'd LOVE to be able to do the same!!! If anyone knows how to do that, by the way, it would be reeeeeeeealy nice to pass that information along, please!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Old Truck Junkie

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ht=bigger+tank

Check this out.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
I don't mind the small tank due to the 1980's foam seat hurting my rear in less than an hour anyway. I need to stop and let it "decompress". No worries...the corbin seat comes monday!

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
With as many modification guru's as this website enjoys, one would think that adapting a larger tank onto our beloved 750 would be something that some interprising fellow would have turned into a business by now.
Having a larger tank come in a box as a kit would be outstanding!! Adding the capability to ride an extra 100 miles on a single fillup is something I'd pay some good bucks for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement