1991 vulcan 750 just got i have carb questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
ronbo43

1991 vulcan 750 just got i have carb questions

i know the bike has been off the road since 2007 start's and idle's great even rev's good but you ride it and i think its starving for fuel won't let me go over 75 m.p.h letting seafoam sit overnight has stopped most backfireing any suggestions would be great thank's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You probably need to give it some time with the seafoam in it, for starters. It may need the carbs pulled and cleaned in the long run, but give it some time with the seafoam and see what gives. On a bike that sat since 07 there is varnish built up in the carbs and maybe the diaphrams are sticking and such. Give it time, my friend. Read the seafoam article by clicking on the link in my sig about the mods. It might give you some hope!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Seafoam rocks. I bought my 05 with 5000 miles on it...it just sat in the guy's garage....been feeding it seafoam by the bottle and riding it like its going out of style...it runs better the more I ride. Yours will too.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Excercise. Put a few hundred miles on it. Use top grade gas fora few tanks and add a little seafoam as well. My 99 I just got a few weeks ago had sat in a carport for 4 years with only ~800 miles in that time. Seafoam and ride. works good, and it's a good excuse to be out on the road!

"hey hun, I gotta ride the bike for a bit, needs excercise." haha of course now that mines running good the wife comes along on cruises.

Nathan
99 vn750
Atlanta, GA
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
ronbo43

the sea foam is working your right the more i ride and the more sea foam i use the better its getting i think i,m going to enjoy the wind and sun today and go for a ride
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
Excercise. Put a few hundred miles on it. Use top grade gas fora few tanks and add a little seafoam as well. My 99 I just got a few weeks ago had sat in a carport for 4 years with only ~800 miles in that time. Seafoam and ride. works good, and it's a good excuse to be out on the road!

"hey hun, I gotta ride the bike for a bit, needs excercise." haha of course now that mines running good the wife comes along on cruises.
nathan, if by top grade gas you mean an octane rating higher than 87, it is not needed. 87 octane fuel is what is recommended for the vn750 by the manufacturer. Some members here have reported poorer performance and fuel economy using the higher octane fuel. A tank full of fresh 87 octane gas and a few ounces of Seafoam in each tankful, for a few hundred or sometimes even a couple of thousand miles, may clean all the varnish and crud out. If you live somewhere you cannot obtain Seafoam, a local mechanic who owns and rides several bikes, suggests using some fuel injector cleaner in the tank for cleaning the carbs out instead of other fuel additives.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-19-2010 at 06:02 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
ronbo43

this is how i got my carbs finally cleaned out with out taking off or apart bio-diesel fuel the stuff that is home maid she chocked smoked then cleaned out and is running like new i used 6oz in a tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement