Here to thank all of you... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Here to thank all of you...

I would like to thank all of you that helped me get my bike running again.

I managed to get my tank rust-free because of the advice and experience of all of you. I managed to get my carbs cleared and free of open floats. I managed to get my bike on the road with plenty of hard work.

Now I need more knowledge and advice. I got my bike on the road for a test run and felt it sputter and go from say 5k rpm to 3k rpm then back up again. When I open the throttle it takes awhile before it reacts to it. When it does this, the bike seems to struggle to get going. When I came to a stop the bike died on me but it started right back up.

I need new tires but want to get it running good before I get them. So if anyone knows what I can try, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
did you adjust your carbs, after you worked on them? stock intake and exhaust?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If the bike is more than a few years old, and most of them pretty much have to be now, you could have a cracked vacuum hose somewhere causing the bad running.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
i got this one mine did that after i rebuilt the carbs last year. my rear carb wasnt opening. what i did was put the plastic needle retainer in such a position as it blocked the vacume hole on the bottom of the vacuum piston causing it to not open and it sputtered missed and ran like crap under power but idled fine and rode arounf the parking lot fine as soon as you hit the street and cracked it open nothing. the easiest way to check is to pull off the elbows or remove your pods (if you did the earshave) and rev the engine to around 6k all at once you will notice one carb may open slowly if thats the case you have your culprit.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I did not remove the carbs. What i did was spray the seafoam in the drain hole and let it sit for awhile. I then sprayed seafoam on the choke and throttle cable at the carbs. I did this a few times and it started right up. I put plenty of seafoam along with fresh gas in the tank.
When I started it up with the throttle fully open the rpms got higher as the bike warmed up. So I lowered the choke until I could completely turn the choke off. I adjusted the idle control to read 1k to 1.5k rpm.
I have a Vulcan750c manual that I read through and read on here for some experience.
I am not familiar with some of the actions I need to take.(Eg. take off the elbows or adjust the carbs, check the intake and exhaust).

What procedure do I take to accomplish the above goals?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
the elbows refer to the carb to air box boots... you are checking for leaks around the carb to head boots for vacuum leaks (spray WD-40 around the boots if it revs high, then you have a vacuum leak). Exhaust refers to check the exhaust for leaks... especially at the head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement