No gas to carbs.. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy No gas to carbs..

I recently read recommendations on how to clean out rust from my tank. I did this because I was getting gas in my oil and that the carbs may be the cause of it. The gas tank cleaning worked out and now my tank is rust free.

I also put seafoam in the fuel hoses to possibly clean out any debris in the carbs. I drained the seafoam from the carbs.

I put the tank back on and started it up. It started up and ran sluggishly but still ran. I then noticed gas in the oil again. I drained the oil and decided it was time to remove the carbs to get them cleaned.

I started the sequence needed to get to the carbs so they can be removed.
I got to the part where I opened up the clamps to remove the rubber ducts from the carbs. I got back on this forum and started reading about stuck floats and pointers on how to clean the floats. So I decided to put everything back together in reverse order.

After everything was back together, I drained the carbs and sprayed Gumout through the drain holes into the carbs. About an hour later, I opened the drain and drained the carbs. I then put seafoam in the fuel hoses and let it sit for an hour. I drained the carbs and the seafoam came out successfully.

I hooked the hoses back to the petcock but now the bike will not start. I opened the drain screws to see if gas would come out, but there were only a drop or two that came out. It is as if there is no gas going to the carbs. I put fresh gas along with seafoam in the tank.

There is a rubber hose that is connected to a T-shape in front of the carb but the other end is not connected to anything. It is hanging at the left side of the gas tank. I do not know if this has anything to do with it because if i recall it was like that after the dealer worked on it a few months ago.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 AM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
there is a vacuum line from the left carb to the petcock if it is not hooked up you will not get fuel. our petcocks have a diaphram that is supposed to shut them off when there is no vacuum but i still shut mine off when i am not riding.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There are two lines connected to the carbs with a T fitting. One is on the right side of the bike, it is the carb vent hose. There are 2 separate vent hoses, one for each carb. They are connected together into a single hose with a T fitting, and it then connects to the right air filter housing. The end is supposed to be open to the atmosphere, so it doesn't matter if it is hanging loose, as long as it is not kinked, plugged, or otherwise obstructed.

The other T is in the vacuum line to the right side of the rear carb, where it splits up, connects to the air injection valve, and also connects to the CA evap emissions crap.

I don't know what the hose with a T you are describing might be, follow it and see where it connects to.

I definitely do not recommend putting Gumout into motorcycle carbs, it dissolves rubber and plastic parts.

If you had rust in the tank, it is possible some got into the carbs, and is preventing the float needle valves from seating. Seafoam (or Gumout) neither one will remove rust, or solid particles of any kind. You have to disassemble the carbs to get that out. I recommend removing the carbs, taking them apart, giving them a thorough cleaning, and possibly replacing any rubber or plastic parts that may have been damaged by the Gumout, paying particular attention to the tip of the float needle valves. If the carbs are overfilling, the gas HAS to be getting through the needle valve assemblies. Jerry

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. It is a '98 and the carbs never been worked on so maybe it is that time. Once again thanks for all the help.

Great forum
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It sounds to me like you have a vacuum open. If the petcock has no vacuum drawn on it no gas will flow through the valve. Even if you have the other end connected to the vacuum port on the petcock, if one end off the T is open, it won't open the petcock.

If you had rust in the tank, some of it was settling in your carbs. You can't stop that even with an inline filter. I don't know how, but rust get's through filters and will settle in the carb like mississippi mud. If the carbs haven't been cleaned, they need it.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 04-07-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement