Carb Install - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Carb Install

Just finished redoing my carbs, and tonight I plan on installing them. Any advice on the easiest way to get them on? Should I put the rubber tubes on the carbs then wiggle them on the motor or should this be done the other way around? Another thing is how can you tell which is the idle cable and which is the throttle cable? Does it make a difference?

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Don't have access to manual here, but one boot goes on the carb and the other goes on the head. They must be clocked a certain way so that the pitch/angle is correct (also in manual).

Use plenty of WD40 to lube up the areas you are trying to mesh togehter, it helps.

One is the open and the other is the close cable. Turn the throttle while watching the cables and you will know which is which.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Do you still have the stock air box/system?

When I did mine recently, I had a hard time getting my gorilla mitts in the tight space with that box in the way. Lance328 has some good tips for getting the box up as much as possible but it's a fight with that box in there. If you pulled the air box and did the ear shave, that opens up the cavity a little better.

I slid mine in from the left side. It takes some finesse getting the carb in place, but truly you'll just have to fiddle with it until it goes in. Then, mounting the carbs on the boots was easy with a little wd40 on the inside of each boot.

It took me about 20 minutes to do this the first time then I had to pull it immediately and I cut the second attempt in half.

Good luck!

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Yea I did the ear shave and air box was removed. Sounds like its going to be an adventure..

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post
Yea I did the ear shave and air box was removed. Sounds like its going to be an adventure..
No problem. Keep both boots on the cylinders and make sure the boots are lined up correctly to the cylinder. Install the push and pull throttle cables but do not mount them in their holders until carbs are in. Spray some WD_40 on the boots an pop in the carbs from the right side.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:24 PM

WD is a good idea on the rubber boots and so is a warm room or use a heat lamp on the rubber parts before you try to assemble.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok well I was able to get the carbs in last night, I am having a major issue with connecting the choke and adjusting the open/close cables. I believe I have them in the respective holders but the pull cable is not pulling the throttle closed. Any insight on what I may be doing wrong.

**It seems that the choke spring and holder are in the wrong place. I will now have to take the carbs off and see if I can swap them. So one issue down just on to the throttle cables. That is whats giving me the most trouble.

1992 Vulcan 750.

Last edited by theone2043; 04-03-2010 at 08:22 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Without the airbox it will be easy. I just removed mine, and put them back WITH the airbox, and it was no fun at all. I had already removed the CA evap system and the air injection system, so those were out of the way. I removed both "ducts" that go between the carbs and airbox first, and put them back last. With lots of WD40, it's not that hard, they are so squishable you can just wad them up to get them into place. You need a Maglite, or some other small but bright flashlight to make sure they are properly seated in the airbox. DO NOT use a screwdriver. I poked a hole in one of the ducts that way once. But you don't have to worry about putting those back on. But you may have to remove and reinstall the carbs again. I removed mine with the throttle cables still attached, and put them back that way. It is virtually impossible to install the throttle cables with the carbs installed. The choke cable is not that difficult.

IMO, this is one of the worst designed setups I've ever seen, even removing/reinstalling the carbs on a Suzuki Intruder 800 is easy by comparison. But with plenty of time and patience, the right "feel", and doing everything in the proper order, it is not as bad as it first looks. I have fairly large hands, but after having been a mechanic all my life, I am good at manipulating parts in tight spaces. If you are "fighting" with it, give it up, go do something else, change your attitude, and come back. They do fit, it's just that everything has to be in exactly the right position, as there is no room left over anywhere. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Without the airbox it will be easy. I just removed mine, and put them back WITH the airbox, and it was no fun at all. I had already removed the CA evap system and the air injection system, so those were out of the way. I removed both "ducts" that go between the carbs and airbox first, and put them back last. With lots of WD40, it's not that hard, they are so squishable you can just wad them up to get them into place. You need a Maglite, or some other small but bright flashlight to make sure they are properly seated in the airbox. DO NOT use a screwdriver. I poked a hole in one of the ducts that way once. But you don't have to worry about putting those back on. But you may have to remove and reinstall the carbs again. I removed mine with the throttle cables still attached, and put them back that way. It is virtually impossible to install the throttle cables with the carbs installed. The choke cable is not that difficult.

IMO, this is one of the worst designed setups I've ever seen, even removing/reinstalling the carbs on a Suzuki Intruder 800 is easy by comparison. But with plenty of time and patience, the right "feel", and doing everything in the proper order, it is not as bad as it first looks. I have fairly large hands, but after having been a mechanic all my life, I am good at manipulating parts in tight spaces. If you are "fighting" with it, give it up, go do something else, change your attitude, and come back. They do fit, it's just that everything has to be in exactly the right position, as there is no room left over anywhere. Jerry.
You will get no arguement here! As many times I have R&I the carbs on these bikes with the surge tank I still dread having to do it. With the surge tank removed I can install in 30-45 seconds with both boots on the heads. With the surge tank it still takes me about 10 minutes.

How is the bike running with the new jets?

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I'm still having issue's with the throttle cables, I can't figure out why it doesn't close correctly. And even though I have the choke on correctly that doesn't seem to work correctly either. I think I am going to take it to a near by shop and have them dyno tune it as well as adjust all the cables.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement