Fuel Shutoff Valve Question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Shutoff Valve Question

Hi all,

Been lurking on this forum for 'bout a month, but this is my first actual post (I don't count the testing grounds). Great site BTW.

I'm trying to learn all I can, but here's my question: Thought there was a fuel leak originating from the petcock. Rebuilt it, then (being the nube I am) discovered that my petcock doesn't look quite like the one in the parts diagram. Isn't there supposed to be a filter at the top of the valve which is inserted into the fuel tank when installed? Take a look at the pic of mine and tell me if something's not missing here. I'm thinking it's FUBAR.

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Yeah, the screen is gone. You can install small inline fuel filters below the petcock if you want to keep that petcock. Mine cost about $3 each. Something like these: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I like the clear kind so you can see what the filter is catching and so you know to clean it if it gets clogged.

Might consider putting a rebuild kit in the petcock if you decide to keep it. They run around $22-24 on ebay.

Have you looked inside the tank to see if it's rusty?

You got the best model year and the fastest color to boot. Lucky dog!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Flite. I did the rebuild kit before I realized the screen was gone (duuuh). The tank has some rust and the petcock was full of rust particles when I first pulled it out. I've thought about inline filters and may go that route, but would feel more comfortable replacing the petcock so trash from the tank doesn't freely flow into it. Of course that begs the question of "de-trashing" the tank (getting rid of the rust) and eliminating the source of the problem.

cheapcycleparts.com has new OEM petcocks for $61.53 Anyone know of a cheaper source? I haven't tried the local boneyard for used parts, yet.

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

They show up on ebay periodically in a variety of conditions. Hard to say when a good one at a good price will appear.

Cleaning the tank isn't too hard. Many here have done it.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
Thanks for the info, Flite. I did the rebuild kit before I realized the screen was gone (duuuh). The tank has some rust and the petcock was full of rust particles when I first pulled it out. I've thought about inline filters and may go that route, but would feel more comfortable replacing the petcock so trash from the tank doesn't freely flow into it. Of course that begs the question of "de-trashing" the tank (getting rid of the rust) and eliminating the source of the problem.

cheapcycleparts.com has new OEM petcocks for $61.53 Anyone know of a cheaper source? I haven't tried the local boneyard for used parts, yet.
Here are a couple of threads from the Vulcan verses on treating rust in the tank. I cannot personally vouch for them working, but others have reported success with these methods.

Here is the 1st thread from the verses:

Getting rust out of a gas tank

If you want to get most, if not all, of the rust out of a gas tank, before treating it:

1) Pull the tank off the bike, and pour as much of the fuel as you can get out of it into a safe container, thru the filler cap.

2) Close the cap, turn the tank on its side, remove the petcock, and drain the rest of the fuel out.

3) Flush the tank with a water hose thru the filler opening, letting the water drain out the petcock hole, then dump a quart of rubbing alcohol in the tank, slosh it around real good, and drain it. Remove the cap assembly and the sending unit, and let the tank dry out for a while.

4) Duct tape two of the openings in the tank closed, pour in a tube of 500 BBs, and tape the last hole up. Wrap the tank in an old comforter, tie it on with string or more duct tape, and stick it in the dryer. Stuff towels around the comforter wrapped tank 'til it's not quite immobilized.

5) Set the dryer for air dry, or fluff, or whatever--NO HEAT-- and let it run for 20 minutes to an hour or so.

6) Pull the tank out, unwrap it, dump the BBs out while shaking and slapping the tank to dislodge any that may have jammed themselves in a crevice. Might have to stick the narrow end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle in to get the last holdouts, but if any do get left in, the filter on the petcock will keep them out of the fuel lines and petcock.

7) Reassemble ---------------

a) The alcohol helps dry out the last of the water left after draining that. The water flushes as much of the fuel out as possible.

b) The comforter and towels keep the tank from banging up the inside of the dryer.

c) The BBs act sort of like a bead blaster. They're hard enough to clean the rust off the tank walls, but soft enough they won't put little hail-dings in it. Preach did his a while back, before having the mount on one side welded back on. My brother tried it after I told him what Preach did, and said it did wonders on the tank on his GS850 project. Jim J.D. Channelview, TX

And here is a way from the verses, to use electrolysis to seal the inside of your tank:

Rust in Tank

Also archived in Body

Quote:
A thin film of rust isn't unusual on older bikes. You can wash it out with phosphoric acid to remove it. You can find it at Home Depot, sold as etching concrete cleaner. A slow, high-tech way is to use sodium carbonate (Ph Up at Home Depot in the swimming pool/spa supplies) and a battery charger (6 amp minimum). This will leave a zinc oxide coating in the tank that will prohibit future rusting. Kreme and Por 15 should only be used on badly rusted tanks that cannot be economically replaced. If the tank is not prepared properly, they will begin to flake off in a couple of years. Almost as many tanks have been ruined using these as have been saved. The new formulation of Kreem is now removable, which may be an improvement. Por 15 has a slightly better reputation, but I've never used it.
Subject: Re: Re: Rust in your tank?
As long as you have a good fuel filter and change it regularly, it shouldn't cause any problems. Without a filter, it will eventually cause carburetor problems. Some of my bikes had (have)it (KZ440, EN500, GS500, , Dream 305, Magna), some don't (VN500, GL1200, GL1000, CB175, KZ305). I had some pictures of the process, but haven't been able to locate them yet. Here's the text of an article from the VJMC magazine on rust removal:

Supplies: rusty tank, medium sized steel or zinc plated bolt, piece of 10-14 gauge stranded copper wire, battery charger with 6 amp output (higher is faster), sodium carbonate (pool/spa chemical ph+), and water

Remove the sender if the tank has one; if not, shake out any loose bits of rust and vent the gas vapors from the tank by leaving it open for at least a day. Mix 1/4 cup of sodium carbonate solution for every two gallons of water. Stir it up well and pour the brew in the tank (you might want to make a little extra, as some usually spills).

Clip the battery charger ground lead to the tank body in a clean area. Strip both ends of the stranded wire, one end 1/2-inch and the other end about 2 inches. Split the strands on the long end, and securely wrap the wire around the bolt. I use a 5/16-inch diameter bolt about 2 inches long, either steel or zinc plated. Immerse the bolt in the solution and attach the wire lead to the positive terminal of the charger. Set the charger output on the 10-amp setting.

The mix will start to bubble a bit, and rust and gunk will form around the bolt and upper tank opening. Rinse the bolt off every few hours, carefully pouring additional sodium carbonate/water solution into the tank opening to flush out the gunk there as well. Keep the tank as full as possible.

After a day or two, as the process slows down, the amount of gunk generated decreases. Most of the bolt will disappear as well, so keep an eye on the copper wire holding it; the bolt might need to be replaced. When it looks as if the process has finished, rinse the tank with clear water. Slosh it around and even use a handful of 1/4-inch nuts on a string to scrub out any loose residue. Rinse again and dry with warm air. A vacuum cleaner outlet hose or hair dryer can be used to supply drying air.

If I'm not completely certain the tank is dry, I'll use a quart of denatured alcohol in the first tank of gas to remove any moisture that remains. This process only eats up rust, not steel. It converts rust to black oxide, which is a more inert material. Unlike acid etching, the surface left behind is rust-resistant. Acid etched steel left bare is much more likely to re-rust. This process works well, the chemicals required are safe if properly handled, the tank shouldn't need to be coated afterwards (unless it's leaking), and the time required is minimal.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 AM
1992 VN 750

I am pretty sure I have a petcock with the screens still in place in my garage although it needs to be rebuilt. But you have the fresh parts from your petcock and should be able to reuse them. Shoot me a PM and I can get it headed your direction if you are interested.

1992 VN 750 / 18,100 miles
V and H Cruzers
Earshaved and sheared
110/90 and 170/80 Metzeler 880s
AGM Battery
TPE Stator
Clear Alternatives LED brakelight
Saddleman Explorer Seat
Kurakyn Levers
VN750.com Grill cover
SCP Coasters
Iridium plugs
MOSFET R/R

Last edited by bordolover; 03-22-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement