How to drain gas tank? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

How to drain gas tank?

I just unsuccessfully attempted to drain out stale gas in my tank by disconnecting the rubber fuel line at the bottom of the petcock. Nothing would come out in either the "run" or "reserve" positon. I assume the engine has to be running and that the gas is pumped via engine vacuum through the petcock?

Question: what is best (least troublesome) way to drain the tank without removing it?

Thanks is advance.

Greyhound
01 VN750
36k miles

No one on their deathbed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Use the Prime setting, free flows and doesnt require vaccum to flow like the other two settings

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

wk ,it is only the first couple of years that the vn750 had a prime position. He has a later model with run, reserve and off.

greyound, my suggestion is to find the vacuum hose to the middle nipple on the petcock and disconnect it from the engine so you can apply vacuum by sucking on it or getting a syringe that will fit the hose and pulling back on the plunger. If you have a longer piece of hose that will fit the middle vacuum nipple, just pull the hose from the engine off the petcock, and apply vacuum by sucking on the hose. Unless the petcock is broken, you shouldn`t get any gas in your mouth. Gas should flow from the hoses on both ends.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Once you get as much drained as you can, put the bike on the sidestand and tie a rag to a stick. Use it to sop up the rest of the gas. While you've got it dry, take a flashlight and mechanic's or dental mirror and look all around to see what shape the inside of the tank is in. Hopefully, no significant rust.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Once you get as much drained as you can, put the bike on the sidestand and tie a rag to a stick. Use it to sop up the rest of the gas.
By doing this, aren't you risking damaging the fuel gauge sending unit or perhaps the petcock stem??

Greyhound
01 VN750
36k miles

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
By doing this, aren't you risking damaging the fuel gauge sending unit or perhaps the petcock stem??
Possibly, especially if you aren't careful. You can see the petcock location and it should be easy to avoid. The main thing I would be concerned about regarding the sending unit would be catching the rag on the float arm, but it is pretty much in the middle of the tank.

Even this method may not get "all" the gas out. If you want to get it all, think you will need to pull the tank.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:36 PM

How bad is the gas in the tank? I would remove the tank, pour out the gas that's in it, then pour some more gas in, shake the tank around real good, and pour that out. It is very difficult to get all the gas out, the best way is to remove the petcock while you have the tank off. But you will probably need to replace the petcock o-ring to prevent it from leaking when you put it back. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Possibly, especially if you aren't careful. You can see the petcock location and it should be easy to avoid. The main thing I would be concerned about regarding the sending unit would be catching the rag on the float arm, but it is pretty much in the middle of the tank.

Even this method may not get "all" the gas out. If you want to get it all, think you will need to pull the tank.
I ended up pulling the tank. Drained / shook out as much as I could out the fill opening. Then used "mechanical fingers" and a rags to sop up as much of the residue as possible. It wasn't until after that it occurred to me that the gas gauge sending unit and petcock stem could have been harmed by this process. Most concerned with the sending unit float as you stated. Will see. Not too big a deal but it was one of those moments when I thought about it afterword.

Greyhound
01 VN750
36k miles

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

one more addition to the thread....

Since I recently had my dent repaired and the tank repainted one color, I pulled my tank and also wondered what I would do with the gas. After removing the gas cap I dumped what I could into a gas can using a big funnel. Then I carefully unscrewed the petcock assembly and gently slid it and the two stems out of the tank. Finally, I held that hole over the funnel and got rid of the rest. Really, the only thing left was residue and fumes.

When I got the tank back I reassembled everything carefully (and tightly) and poured the gas from the can into the tank... along with a little Seafoam of course. Started it up and rode off.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement