Long winter's nap problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

Long winter's nap problem

Attempted to start my 01 today after approximately 4 months of hibernation. Eventually started but would not run off idle or without full choke. Any attempt to increase engine speed with throttle or reduce full choke while idling would stall engine. Restart no problem but I could not get the engine to run any more than 1200 rpm even after many minutes of warm up. I today dumped in more Sea Foam (I say "more" because I had added that the last time I had it running 4 months ago) and ran some more at idle but no improvement.

What do I do now??

Greyhound
01 VN750
36k miles

No one on their deathbed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Since you used sea foam the carbs can't be too bad off. I would add b-12 (some guys here don't like it) to the tank, 2-3 oz. and run the bike. I would run most of it out and refill the tank with fuel, this will thin out the b-12. If this helps go back the sea foam and will help clean the rest of the goup out. Hope this helps you.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
Attempted to start my 01 today after approximately 4 months of hibernation. Eventually started but would not run off idle or without full choke. Any attempt to increase engine speed with throttle or reduce full choke while idling would stall engine. Restart no problem but I could not get the engine to run any more than 1200 rpm even after many minutes of warm up. I today dumped in more Sea Foam (I say "more" because I had added that the last time I had it running 4 months ago) and ran some more at idle but no improvement.

What do I do now??
The jets are gummed up, you need to clean the carbs.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 PM

I have the exact same situation, and suspect my carbs are dirty. I'm going to try draining the carbs and running some Sea Foam through them. Problem is I'm not exactly sure where to apply the Sea Foam. I'm what you might call mechanically declined, and I'm afraid to death of doing something wrong and completely disabling my bike. I really hope this works, as I'm not sure I'm up to the task of pulling the carbs off completely (even though a thorough cleaning would probably cure what ails me).
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Disconnect the fuel lines from the petcock, drain the carbs into a container, replace drain screw and add SeaFoam slowly through the fuel lines until they are almost full. I use a syringe (without the needle) I got from my vet.

Probably a good idea to leave the carbs full of Sea Foam when you put her to bed next year.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 03-18-2010 at 09:08 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Disconnect the fuel lines from the petcock, drain the carbs into a container, replace drain screw and add SeaFoam slowly through the fuel lines until they are almost full. I use a syringe (without the needle) I got from my vet.

Probably a good idea to leave the carbs full of Sea Foam when you put her to bed next year.

Hmmm.. Interesting thought. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Worth a try. I can't understand how my carbs got in this condition. I know I added either Sea Foan or StaBil to the gas while I ran it the last time about 4 months ago. Ran it at idle and reved it many times for a good twenty minutes, so the mix had to be in the carbs. Was running fine then. We'll see if the above idea is any help. I really don't want to work on the carbs if I don't have to.

Greyhound
01 VN750
36k miles

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 PM

I learned that procedure right here, so it's not an original idea of mine.

I discovered on this forum that Stabil has a shelf life of two years after you open the bottle; says so right on the container I never bothered to read. Also says it stabilizes gas for six months. Sea Foam has no shelf life and stabilizes gas for up to two years IIRC. So if you were like me, your Stabil may have expired and wasn't any good. So it could be the gas in the tank went bad too. Stabil is cheaper than Sea Foam, but I don't think it's the best buy.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Quiet rider

Quote:
I learned that procedure right here, so it's not an original idea of mine.

I discovered on this forum that Stabil has a shelf life of two years after you open the bottle; says so right on the container I never bothered to read. Also says it stabilizes gas for six months. Sea Foam has no shelf life and stabilizes gas for up to two years IIRC. So if you were like me, your Stabil may have expired and wasn't any good. So it could be the gas in the tank went bad too. Stabil is cheaper than Sea Foam, but I don't think it's the best buy.
Follow-up questions: After filling the carbs with Sea Foam, do I drain them again and refill with gas before starting or will it start ok with the carbs full of Sea Foam? And how long did you leave the carbs filled with Sea Foam before next start attempt?

Thanks in advance.

Greyhound
01 VN750
36k miles

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM

I believe the general rule of thumb is allow the carbs to soak for 24-48 hours. Then drain the Sea Foam (you can filter and reuse if you want) and let gas back into the carbs. It shouldn't start with straight Sea Foam in the carbs. Might smoke a bit at first 'cause of the Sea Foam.

Old Blue

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:

If your fuel lines are older they tend to get a little brittle. I pulled my hoses off to change my fuel sender and when I reinstalled a small piece of hose got 'chipped off' by the fitting on the petcock. The piece ran down the line and jammed the float valve full open. I had gas running out of my pipes within minutes of trying to start the bike.

I have two cleaned carbs now and brand new hoses.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement