hot and cold start problems. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Question hot and cold start problems.

hi.

the only way i can get my 2004 vulcan to start. both when its cold and when its hot, is to turn the idle screw way down.

ive put new plugs in and ive relocated the R/R. i do have drag pipes now but it was doing this when i had the stock exhaust too. im going to try seafoam tomorrow. ive read it works miracles on our bikes. but does anybody have any other ideas?

windshield.
red leds.
straight pipes.
vroc number 25695
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Have you replaced the battery with an AGM maintenance free version yet? This solved my warm start issues on a 2006 model (didn't have a cold start issue).

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

And if your new plugs aren't iridiums, they do give a very good spark. When I bought my bike, it had standard plugs with only 350 miles on them. Replaced the battery with AGM and put in iridium plugs. Man, what a difference!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Calif Rider

Juggel you can also try the ignition coil pickup adjustments, they are located in the stater area. You just have to pull off the stater outer cover, only three screws. There is a write up in the forum threads covering the whole procees. The pickups come set with a gap of some where between 30 to 40 thousands of an inch. You need to get them down to about 18 to 20 thousands of an inch. This should take care of all the cold and hot starts, along with the plugs and AMG battery.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

Last edited by weh44att; 02-18-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: and a word
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Juggel you can also try the ignition coil pickup adjustments, they are located in the stater area. You just have to pull off the stater outer cover, only three screws. There is a write up in the forum threads covering the whole procees. The pickups come set with a gap of some where between 30 to 40 thousands of an inch. You need to get them down to about 18 to 20 thousands of an inch. This should take care of all the cold and hot starts, along with the plugs and AMG battery.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalo62989 View Post
hi.

the only way i can get my 2004 vulcan to start. both when its cold and when its hot, is to turn the idle screw way down.

ive put new plugs in and ive relocated the R/R. i do have drag pipes now but it was doing this when i had the stock exhaust too. im going to try seafoam tomorrow. ive read it works miracles on our bikes. but does anybody have any other ideas?

Are you using the choke to start the bike when it is cold?

Does it seem to run fine once you start it (guessing you turn the idle back up then?)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Be mindful, that this mod is not a simple adjustment, and is not completely irreversible.
The mod takes about 30 minutes and is completely reversable. I have done this on 8 engines and no one has asked to change it.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

what i have to do is wait for it to fire without choke then kind of juggle the gas and choke til it stays running...

also if i do turn the choke on while its turning over it seems to crank slower. it does the same thing if i give it gas.

im thinking something electrical as well.

windshield.
red leds.
straight pipes.
vroc number 25695
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The Vulcan 750 is known for starting problems. Owners have done all kinds of things to try and solve the issue. I have not messed with the ignition coil pickup adjustment, but I did install an AGM battery, gapped the plugs just a hair less than what the manual calls for, removed and thoroughly cleaned the inside of the starter, and have turned the pilot screws out a full 3 turns. If started every day or two, it starts fine. If you let it set for a week, it can be hard to start. I believe this is caused by gas evaporating out of the float bowls.

Seafoam is good stuff, but costs about the same as it's weight in gold. For that reason I don't use very much of it. What I do, is about every 3 months, drain the gas out of the carbs, disconnect the fuel lines from the petcock, and fill the float bowls full of Seafoam through the fuel lines, let it soak for 24 hours, then drain it out. I use the remainder of the 16 oz can in the next 2 tankfuls of gas. I have 4 other bikes, and don't use Seafoam in any of them, I only use it in the Vulcan because it is such a PITA to remove and clean the carbs.

Are you a member of the ICP? Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by weh44att View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Be mindful, that this mod is not a simple adjustment, and is not completely irreversible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
The mod takes about 30 minutes and is completely reversable. I have done this on 8 engines and no one has asked to change it.
slim, I think you meant to say the mod is not reversible, or that it is irreversible, which means the same thing. By trying to emphasize irreversible with "not", you have a double negative (ir and not, which equals a positive), which means exactly what lance says- "completely reversible".

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement