Inline fuel filters + Seafoam = Bad Idea? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Inline fuel filters + Seafoam = Bad Idea?

When I brought my VN750 in to a local mechanic for an engine pull/disassembly job to fix the balancers, I mentioned offhand how I had had problems with rust in the tank clogging my fuel hoses and carbs in an older bike and was interested in getting inline fuel filters. The problem is that the space there under the tank for adding such filters would be VERY tight, and I hadn't found any ones that I knew would fit under there.

Well, when I picked my bike back up last week, it seems he threw in a set of inline filters in the mix of work he did for me (which included epoxying some hairline cracks in the arm brackets of my fuel tank due to the formerly excessive vibration). Hot diggity!

It occurred to me though that this could complicate my current habit of adding about a 1/2 can of Seafoam every month or so to a fill-up while riding.

Seafoam is a cleanser, right? So there must be something caustic about it.

I add it to the fuel tank but it ultimately reaches the carbs and fuel jets, right? So it must be getting there through the fuel lines.

I've just added these filters between the tank and the carbs. Therefore, any Seafoam I add into the tank will pass through the filters. Is that going to eat the filters?

I'm not sure exactly what brand of filters they are (I just emailed him to ask), but I would think either it's a problem or it's not, it shouldn't matter as to the brand, right?

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Shouldn't be a problem for you. I had inline fuel filters on my two KZ's and used seafoam routinely and never had a problem with them. I never put inline filters on the 750 because of the limited space, but, knock on wood, I never had a problem with the fuel system on it, more than likely because of my routine use of seafoam. You should be fine.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 PM

I've had inline filters on my bikes since I got them. No problems with Seafoam use, but the filter element is sintered brass, and I wouldn't expect any.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Old Fart

Garage
There is nothihng "caustic" about Seafoam...it is just another petroleum based solvent just like gasoline. If the plastic fuel lines and parts in your carbs have not been distroyed by Seafoam, neither willl your plastic-safe for gasoline- fuel filters.

The only thing that I would be concerned about is if the filters will flow fuel fast enough to keep up with demand at full throttle-high speed traveling. Any filter that the stock size fuel lines fit on would have to be smaller in diameter than the lines themselves. The other concern might be heat from the motor, but other than the Vulcan....I have used inline filters before without problems.

Awhile back I had posted about some nice metal and filters that could be taken apart for cleaning....can not find the link now....

I would have to suggest that if you have rust in your tank that perhaps you need to address that by itself............

EDIT: I did find these, but they do not have the glass window...(click on accessories then fuel filters)
http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 02-05-2010 at 06:51 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
KM Something like this?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
There is nothihng "caustic" about Seafoam...it is just another petroleum based solvent just like gasoline. If the plastic fuel lines and parts in your carbs have not been distroyed by Seafoam, neither willl your plastic-safe for gasoline- fuel filters.

The only thing that I would be concerned about is if the filters will flow fuel fast enough to keep up with demand at full throttle-high speed traveling. Any filter that the stock size fuel lines fit on would have to be smaller in diameter than the lines themselves. The other concern might be heat from the motor, but other than the Vulcan....I have used inline filters before without problems.

Awhile back I had posted about some nice metal and filters that could be taken apart for cleaning....can not find the link now....

I would have to suggest that if you have rust in your tank that perhaps you need to address that by itself............

EDIT: I did find these, but they do not have the glass window...(click on accessories then fuel filters)
http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm

KM
Yeah, I guess if it was something that would destroy the filter material while passing through, it would also likely damage the rubber fuel hoses themselves, so paranoia averted.

I don't have rust in this bike's tank, but I did have it (and still do) in another bike which now has completely stopped up carbs from it, and I have to wait until warmer weather to attempt to do something about it. So I figured I'd rather have filters to change than carbs to clean should anything similar happen in the future.

I have ridden the bike on the hwy without noticing a problem with the fuel flow, but I only took her up to around 65 MPH, it's not I was WOT. So hmm, food for thought there.

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 PM

There should be no problem using Seafoam with inline fuel filters. I don't know how the mechanic installed the filters, but the clearance problem is easily solved by simply using longer fuel lines between the petcock and the carb. I would not use screw type hose clamps on fuel filters. My experience with screw drive hose clamps that small is that they go out of round when tightened, and they also look really clunky. I would either use the stock spring type clips, or nothing at all. I don't currently have any inline filters on my streetbikes, but have always used them on dirt bikes. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
I have ridden the bike on the hwy without noticing a problem with the fuel flow, but I only took her up to around 65 MPH, it's not I was WOT. So hmm, food for thought there.
I've had my bike up to 90 for short periods and cruised many miles at 75. Never experienced any fuel starvation problems due to the filters. If you think about it, the fuel lines are large enough to drain the Vulcan's tank in less than 20 minutes at full flow. Adding fuel filters would only reduce the flow slightly.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 AM

I use the cheap plastic filters - $2.99 at local shop - and no problems. Filters have been on for 8 ? years and have suffered SeaFoam.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse