I think it's time to tear the carbs out.. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
I think it's time to tear the carbs out..

Hello again..

Today, I took Vanessa over to a buddy's house who knows a little more about bikes than I do, granted he's a Harley man but he's nice and offered to help me look the bike over to eliminate the remaining issues I have with the carbs.

When we pulled the tank off, we started looking around and he noticed a small nozzle sticking up from between the carbs. He said that appeared to be the issue and that there should be a hose attached to it. We looked in the Clymer, and sure enough, there was a diagram that showed a hose that appeared to run from this nozzle to the right side air filter- even though neither of us could see where the hose was supposed to connect. He had a spare length of hose around that we slipped over the nozzle and as he looked around a little more he said everything else looks to be in good shape, so we put the tank back on (with the length of hose sticking out the right side), put her back together and fired her up. As she warmed up, he showed me that this was in fact a breathing tube of some sort- he explained it but I really don't remember what he called it. He showed me that by plugging this hose, the idle rose to about 3500-4000RPMs then died. Then we started mucking with the air mix screws again and she just got more and more upset! For the first time, I got to see flames shooting from my pipes... I neither liked the look nor the pop pop poping sound that worsened after he started messing with the mix screws.

He said he is friends with the guy who kept Vanessa for the 55 days while he worked on her over the summer and said he would have a chat with him next time they saw each other. He also mentioned that while it sounds like the carbs are synced correctly, there is something about the sound from the pipes that makes him thing they're a little off kilter. We spent about 3 hours messing with the mix screws and BOTH pipes are popping terribly on decel after she gets above about 4000RPM He said since we have no way to know for sure what's going on with the carbs, he wants to pull them off the bike and tear them down- looks like I'm going to do my first carb rebuild- THANK GOD I'll have someone who knows what they're doing.

So I'm going to read my Clymer this evening and start tearing her down.. looks like I might be done riding for the season. If any of you have suggestions as to the "easiest" way to tear this thing down or any tips for getting the carbs out, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm extremely nervous, but I decided I am going to tear her down in my garage and just take the carbs over to his house. There is just something about leaving my bike in someone else's garage that I don't like. Plus I learn better when I do things on my own and he's the type who likes to jump in and do the work, so I fear I won't learn anything if I let him do it for me and that's just not how I roll!

I'll thank you all again for your input, guidance, and experience. I'm sure those of you who I've spoken to on the phone will be getting some panic calls from me soon enough as I find myself in new territory.

Here's to yet another adventure with the sled!

And to get your opinion, since I'm tearing these things off, is it worth jumping into doing the ear shave? I really like the look of the bikes I've seen here that have done it and I dislike the big ears more and more each day.. what are your thoughts there?

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Calif Rider

Have you checked the air filters and see if they are clean. Or try to clean them and then see if the bike runs any better.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
I replaced the filters when I got the bike last November.. but I'm really interested in doing an ear shave so I'm hoping that even if the current filters ARE the issue, I can get rid of them when I start this job.

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I really liked the ear shave a member here did with a K&N filter. Sorry, I don't remember who it was. I copied it (took him several posts to get all the pics) and here is the filter information. If you search for that filter number you should find the post.

I got to looking at the different K & N filters available and found the RC-2720, which is an oval with 2 holes in it. The holes are 2" and the centers are 5" apart. Our bikes are about 5.5 inches apart on the centers where the rubber boots go into the plenum. I found the filter for $42 shipped at Leading Edge Air Foils when everyone else wanted $42 + shipping.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement