gas smell - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

gas smell

I am now noticing a gas smell in my garage. I've cracked the door to ventilate it. Its coming from the bike. If I turn the petcock to the OFF position, the smell is gone. I have not messed with the carbs or engine recently. I do not see any signs of a gas leak anywhere on the bike. Anything I can check that could be causing this?

Thanks,
Chavisimo

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Love My Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavisimo View Post
I am now noticing a gas smell in my garage. I've cracked the door to ventilate it. Its coming from the bike. If I turn the petcock to the OFF position, the smell is gone. I have not messed with the carbs or engine recently. I do not see any signs of a gas leak anywhere on the bike. Anything I can check that could be causing this?

Thanks,
Chavisimo
Recently I topped off my gas tank and parked my bike in the garage while it was still hot. Some gas vented out thru the overflow tube and the garage smelled like gas. Was your tank just filled? Or did you garage it while your engine was still hot? If there was no sign of a leak it might just be gas fumes escaping thru the vent tube. You could also check the gas cap.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Normally I park the bike hot in the garage. Tank was not completely filled the whole time. The gas smell was there all week from full tank and end of week when the tank was low on gas. Today I did not ride the bike at all and opened the garage and let the fumes air out this morning. Then I closed the garage door and tonight there is still a gas smell. Still no signs of leaks.

2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
If I turn the petcock to the OFF position, the smell is gone.
Your petcock vacuum valve is leaking.

This alone does not give the smell, so something else is leaking as well. Check the fuel hoses for tight connections. Could leak so little that you don't see it but do smell it. If the hoses are ok, you need to check the carb float needle valves.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Love My Baby

One more tip: Place some white paper towels completely underneath the bike between the wheels when you first park it, and the next day see if any of them show signs of being wet or if they smell of gas. This way if there is a small leak you'll be able to more accurately find where the leak is dripping.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

You have probably already done this, but if not, check the hoses for softness, brittleness or any cracking too, while checking the clamps.
At 7 years old, it may be time for new fuel hoses.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
You have probably already done this, but if not, check the hoses for softness, brittleness or any cracking too, while checking the clamps.
At 7 years old, it may be time for new fuel hoses.
I have a similar issue too: I smell gas when standing near my bike, with no obvious leaks. I hadn't thought about doing the PETCOCK=>OFF thing, I will see if that figures in to my equation as well.

There are only three fuel hoses in question, right? The three that attach to the petcock? I've removed them once from the petcock and put them back, as part of taking the tank off to get at something; maybe I tore one of them while using pliers to reattach them.

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)

Last edited by robardin; 11-17-2009 at 02:22 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

When I get home from work, i'll check the fuel lines starting from the petcock since when the petcock is in the OFF position, the gas smell stop. Something after the petcock. I'll update after I give it another look tonight or tomorrow night.

2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM

I dunno about Chavismo, but as for me, turning the petcock to OFF didn't help. So I took the tank off and took a closer look. It seems I have a leak somewhere at the base of my tank, near where it joins the seat, I don't know how. I can't tell exactly where it is, there's no obvious hole or crack, but if I wipe the area clear it gets a dewing of fuel after a few minutes. No beading or droplets, it just... comes from somewhere. Probably from around some possibly rusty areas under where the tank bolt goes.

I only took my tank off for the first time about a week and a half ago, so my guess is that part of the tank that's under the metal bracket that goes to the center bolt (under the seat) had rusted in such a way that when I cracked the bolt, it also cracked a tiny seam at the bottom of the tank. That's when I first started having this problem.

So, I put duct tape around the bottom of my tank as a temporary measure. I must have used too low a grade of duct tape as by the time I was putting my seat back on (after only putting on the three tank bolts and reattaching the petcock fuel hoses), the tape was already coming loose a bit from the seepage of gasoline underneath it.

So, now what? I am no welder, I have no welding equipment and am not about to try for the first time near anything that has or had gasoline in it .

No, I'm gonna try something made by Dow Chemicals called "Great Stuff" fill and foam sealant. I got a can that says it's waterproof and for plumbing use. Unless someone tells me in the next 30 minutes or so that it's a bad idea?

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
I dunno about Chavismo, but as for me, turning the petcock to OFF didn't help. So I took the tank off and took a closer look. It seems I have a leak somewhere at the base of my tank, near where it joins the seat, I don't know how. I can't tell exactly where it is, there's no obvious hole or crack, but if I wipe the area clear it gets a dewing of fuel after a few minutes. No beading or droplets, it just... comes from somewhere. Probably from around some possibly rusty areas under where the tank bolt goes.

I only took my tank off for the first time about a week and a half ago, so my guess is that part of the tank that's under the metal bracket that goes to the center bolt (under the seat) had rusted in such a way that when I cracked the bolt, it also cracked a tiny seam at the bottom of the tank. That's when I first started having this problem.

So, I put duct tape around the bottom of my tank as a temporary measure. I must have used too low a grade of duct tape as by the time I was putting my seat back on (after only putting on the three tank bolts and reattaching the petcock fuel hoses), the tape was already coming loose a bit from the seepage of gasoline underneath it.

So, now what? I am no welder, I have no welding equipment and am not about to try for the first time near anything that has or had gasoline in it .

No, I'm gonna try something made by Dow Chemicals called "Great Stuff" fill and foam sealant. I got a can that says it's waterproof and for plumbing use. Unless someone tells me in the next 30 minutes or so that it's a bad idea?

Permatex 09101

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...Repair_Kit.htm

Do not use Great Stuff, it's not gas and chemical resistant. Use Permatex 09101 Fuel tank repair kit.

http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com...826&click=2744

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 11-18-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement