Trouble removing fuel tank - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Trouble removing fuel tank

This is my first post. I'm a new owner/rider--just bought an '86, and I'm loving it. Lots of good advice here too.

I seem to have a problem with my fuel tank. About a month ago I dropped it (gently, if there is such a thing), and ever since it's been slowly dripping gas down the lower left rim of the tank. That's trouble enough, but when I went to inspect, I found that I couldn't remove the front left bolt that holds the tank to the frame. It turns and turns but doesn't loosen. I tried prying it with a screwdriver, yanking it with vice grips, but no luck. Any suggestions--about the bolt OR the leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Have you looked to see if the previous owner stripped the fitting and replaced the stock bolt with a longer one and a lock nut?

If not, try to get a C-clamp on the back side of the bolt and then try to unscrew it.

You may have popped a spot weld on the tank mounting tab. I did. My solution was to have it welded. Others have used JB Weld to repair it.

There is a repair material I've used (Fix a Thread?) to repair stripped threads, but you can't put a lot of torque on it or it will pull the "new" threads. You'll need a tap to cut new threads after using the product. Could also have someone weld more material in the hole, and drill and tap it out.

You can siphon the gas out of the tank by disconnecting the fuel lines at the carbs (or petcock) and applying a vacuum to the central line on the petcock. Turn the petcock to RES so you get as much out as you can. This will probably stop the leak.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 11-10-2009 at 09:30 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Welcome to the Forum! Hopefully we can all get you fixed up and not leaking soon. When you said you "dropped it" - the "it" was the fuel tank or the bike itself? And is the leakage on the lower left when your bike is on the sidestand or is it happening when it's on the center stand? If there's no obvious crack in the tank, and it's leaking on the sidestand, I'm leaning towards the petcock having been jostled in the drop...but I can't place my bet on that until I have some more info.

As for the free-spinning bolt, sounds stripped to me. Presumably someone who doesn't have a fondness for drill bits and hacksaws will pipe in soon and offer some sound advice. lol

C

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick responses. What I "dropped" was the bike (on an inclined driveway while making a u-turn...stupid, I know). There's no noticeable crack--the leak seems to be coming from high up under the front left part of the tank. It definitely drips while on the sidestand, but I haven't noticed whether it leaks while on the center stand. I'll check it out.

Not sure how to tell whether the previous owner replaced the original bolt. I'm also not sure how to get a C clamp on the back side--not much room there.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Where ya from? There might be somebody close that could help.
As for the leak; Depends.LOL. No really, there are some good fuel tank repair kit available. Just fallow the directions, Don't take shortcuts with fuel leaks. You can also look for a shop willing to weld it up fer ya, after it's removed frome the bike. The bolt issue has pretty much been covered. Just don't make to many sparks around that tank unless you drain it and run some water through it. Be patient with the bolt, you'll get it.

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Metal radiator drain plug
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12903

Debaffling my stock pipes
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12756
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcfritz View Post
Thanks for your quick responses. What I "dropped" was the bike (on an inclined driveway while making a u-turn...stupid, I know). There's no noticeable crack--the leak seems to be coming from high up under the front left part of the tank. It definitely drips while on the sidestand, but I haven't noticed whether it leaks while on the center stand. I'll check it out.

Not sure how to tell whether the previous owner replaced the original bolt. I'm also not sure how to get a C clamp on the back side--not much room there.
When you get the gas out and the tank off, you should be able to see where the leak is coming from. My $ is on the mounting tab, 'cause what you are describing is exactly what happened to my tank. Same side too.

If you can get someone to assist you, try placing a gently tapered wedge (wood works well) under the head of the bolt. As one of you slooowly unscrews the bolt, the other needs to tap the wedge so it remains tight.

If you can't get it out, you may need to take it to a machine shop or get out the hacksaw or cutting wheel on the Dremel tool! When you do get it apart, be sure to set the rubber inserts aside until you are ready to remount the tank. I didn't, they fell into the radiator fan housing, and would have caused severe damage to the radiator without Crobins advice as to where they might be!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Oxford, PA--halfway btwn Philly and Baltimore. I don't really know ANY riders, much less VN750 riders, so if anyone's local I'd love to hear from ya.

I'll try the tricks for the bolt, thanks. But i've heard that some welders don't like to mess with tanks. What's the success rate with JB weld or other solutions? ANy disadvantages?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Just a thought, check out ebay or ask around here for a spare tank in good condition.
Can you tell if your tank is rusty inside?

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12903

Debaffling my stock pipes
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12756
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Tank looks good to the naked eye, but I'm not completely sure--I had a repair shop tell me they wanted to look inside with a scope, said it's the only way to tell. Bike's not inspected yet.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Hey Jgfritz, just sent you a PM.

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list