Another Bike With Gas in Exhaust - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Another Bike With Gas in Exhaust

So I know that there are other posts on this topic on here but I wanted to tell my whole story and see what you all think.

So I got a completely rebuilt motor installed last week. I got it to fire up, and it seemed to be great. I got her warm and took her for about a 2 mile ride to see it I had any leaks or any issues. It seemed to be A okay. The next day I took it for another short ride and topped off the tank. However when I pulled in to my place it backfired and as I coasted into the garage it died. I fired it back up and wouldn't idle. She just died at idle. I shrugged it off and went to bed.

Two days later I went out to my bike that morning and fired it up and would idle great with the choke, but once again died. I twisted the idle adjuster and she stayed going. I let it sit there for awhile while I ran back in the house. When I cam back out I found a puddle under the right side. Investigation revealed that the leak was coming from the exhaust both where it connect to the cylinder head and where it connects to the muffler. The liquid at that point was clear, and I mistakenly thought it was coolant at first.

I went to work and when I got back that night further investigation told me it was fuel. So I figured it was that I must have twisted the idle too much and flooded the cylinder. So this morning I went out and changed the idle and this is where I am really confused. When I turn down the idle it dies, when I turn it up I have gas spewing from my exhaust. Plus now I am missing on the front cylinder if I throw her in gear and ride it. Not to mention now the fuel isn't coming out clear but black.

So I have read the other posts on this issue, and have since changed my oil because of fear of gas being in the oil, although I am not sure there was. I have also added some seafoam to my tank. I know how to drain my carbs but not sure how to add seafoam to the carbs while installed.

After reading some more posts I have realized that I don't have a good seal on my exhaust at the cylinder. This is where I am going to start tomorrow. I have called the dealer and they have gaskets in stock. Do you think that this exhaust leak is what is drawing extra fuel to the cylinder? Should I be worried about the change in color of the fuel from clear to black? See the attached picture for the color of the fuel.

Oh yeah when I put the bike back together I threw out the old air filter and replaced them with K&N filters. I know I have read that this can toy with fuel/air mixture. But I would think that it would make it a lean mix and not a rich mixture.

Is there any other suggestions anyone has for me? I just want to get back on my bike. Those 2-3 miles revived the bug to ride after being down and out for so long. I am hoping to not have to pull the carbs, which are stock, without an ear shave. I would guess that they are standard jets as well.

Sorry so long I just wanted everyone to have a good idea as to what is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0110.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2423  

Chainsaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:20 AM

Did you clean the carbs while the engine was out? Also check the rest of the fuel system for junk. Sounds like you've got a stuck float. Read through the other posts on this topic and use some of the sugg to solve the prob.
The black color is prob just the fuel cleaning the carbon out of the exhaust.
Be carefull with that much fuel in the ex pipe, that could be catostrphic if it ignites!!!!!!!

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Metal radiator drain plug
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700