wont start...my fault?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

wont start...my fault??

Hey, all. Didn't quite know where to post, but here goes. My wife brought her Vulcan home the other day after a short ride saying that while cruising, the bike had cut-off but then restart almost immediately. The bike has burned off 65 miles from a full tank and ran well the day before so I don't suspect bad gas, but drained the bowls, both clear with no junk. So, I figure seafoam first. I took a big syringe and decided to shoot seafoam into the gas lines from the petcock to the carbs and let it sit overnight. Well, dope *** me shot a couple ounces or so of seafoam into the vacuum line, then realized the center hose was vacuum not fuel. Now, engine cranks but won't fire up. Actually it did just once for about 3 seconds then died. Is my seafoam injection into the vacuum line the cause of my problems??? Some more backround, I have pulled all plugs after cranking the engine several times and they are all wet (but don't smell gas when I crank her). Dried the plugs and left 'em out overnight, tried next day, no good. Drained bowls again, all clear. Electrical? Battery is a DEKA agm which is good. Switched out the DEKA into my VN and started right up. As per the voltmeter on her bike, 12.3 volts key on, and cranking draws voltage down to as low as 10, lower the more I crank. Battery charges fine, and my known good battery into her bike also just cranks. Cleaned all electrical connections I could find with CRC electronic cleaner and checked to make sure all connectors clean and tight including grounds. Also, getting spark. At least the bulb lights up when I attach that in line spark tester gadget. What's my next move??? TIA...John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrwilco View Post
Hey, all. Didn't quite know where to post, but here goes. My wife brought her Vulcan home the other day after a short ride saying that while cruising, the bike had cut-off but then restart almost immediately. The bike has burned off 65 miles from a full tank and ran well the day before so I don't suspect bad gas, but drained the bowls, both clear with no junk. So, I figure seafoam first. I took a big syringe and decided to shoot seafoam into the gas lines from the petcock to the carbs and let it sit overnight. Well, dope *** me shot a couple ounces or so of seafoam into the vacuum line, then realized the center hose was vacuum not fuel. Now, engine cranks but won't fire up. Actually it did just once for about 3 seconds then died. Is my seafoam injection into the vacuum line the cause of my problems??? Some more backround, I have pulled all plugs after cranking the engine several times and they are all wet (but don't smell gas when I crank her). Dried the plugs and left 'em out overnight, tried next day, no good. Drained bowls again, all clear. Electrical? Battery is a DEKA agm which is good. Switched out the DEKA into my VN and started right up. As per the voltmeter on her bike, 12.3 volts key on, and cranking draws voltage down to as low as 10, lower the more I crank. Battery charges fine, and my known good battery into her bike also just cranks. Cleaned all electrical connections I could find with CRC electronic cleaner and checked to make sure all connectors clean and tight including grounds. Also, getting spark. At least the bulb lights up when I attach that in line spark tester gadget. What's my next move??? TIA...John.

oppps shouldnt be a big deal ... u got the vac lince clear? i find that seafoam by itself doesnt like to start... I'm assuming u got the vacume lined cleared out..

Open carb drain bowls and let fuel out... then drain a bunch of gas through the system (suck on vac line and watch the gas flow out the carb bowls... how much gas and how much seafoam in the lines and tank?? ( i dont beleive the instructions on the seafoam said inject directly into carbs... when u have good gas in the system maybe squirt a little starting fluid into the air cleaner...

Next pull plug and check spark at the plug make sure they are not fouled...

Thirdly i think your original problem is in one of your safty switches or ignition switch... keep pluggin away... let us know how its goin

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I assume you did put the vacuum line back on the petcock before trying to start the bike, right?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeeare View Post
oppps shouldnt be a big deal ... u got the vac lince clear? i find that seafoam by itself doesnt like to start... I'm assuming u got the vacume lined cleared out..

Open carb drain bowls and let fuel out... then drain a bunch of gas through the system (suck on vac line and watch the gas flow out the carb bowls... how much gas and how much seafoam in the lines and tank?? ( i dont beleive the instructions on the seafoam said inject directly into carbs... when u have good gas in the system maybe squirt a little starting fluid into the air cleaner...

Next pull plug and check spark at the plug make sure they are not fouled...

Thirdly i think your original problem is in one of your safty switches or ignition switch... keep pluggin away... let us know how its goin
The vacuum line is clear in that I can blow into or apply suction and no obstruction. But, where did the seafoam go? No puddles or wet exhaust , etc. I was gonna spray her with some ether to see if see catches, but wanted to see if the seafoam goof had to be dealt with first. I think she's getting enough fuel, though, cause the bowls are full anytime I drain 'em. Also, I have run my VN on straight seafoam only when I ran out of gas a couple of miles from the exit for fuel. She ran, not great, but she ran. I had sprayed the ignition, kill, and kickstand switches but haven't delved into it deeper, yet. PS...the only thing on my key ring is the ignition key attached to a soft rubber fob.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
I assume you did put the vacuum line back on the petcock before trying to start the bike, right?
Yes, sir. I have checked all connections, hoses, and lines to make sure nothing is dangling, loose, or not attached.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Are you getting spark? You might try the ether, sparingly to see if you can get a burp out of it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, got her up and running, no hesitation or backfiring, and can't replicate the problems my wife had. Needed to pull the air filters and used starting fluid sparingly to get her to light off. Ran pretty grumpy and smoked quite at bit for a while. More seafoam into the tank, let it sit, ran better, then ran the heck out of it. I'm figuring a stuck float and probably time to rebuild the carbs anyway, I don't think they were every touched. But runs great right now, so it will be a winter project. Thanks, all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrwilco View Post
Well, got her up and running, no hesitation or backfiring, and can't replicate the problems my wife had. Needed to pull the air filters and used starting fluid sparingly to get her to light off. Ran pretty grumpy and smoked quite at bit for a while. More seafoam into the tank, let it sit, ran better, then ran the heck out of it. I'm figuring a stuck float and probably time to rebuild the carbs anyway, I don't think they were every touched. But runs great right now, so it will be a winter project. Thanks, all.
I found my carbs dont like to run on seafoam... straight into the fuel lines made it tough to start.... i did that just dumpin seafoam into the tank when it was empty...

glad u got it running i love starting fluid cause if its gonna run starting fluid will take it there no matter the settings on the jets...

id bet u got it good and clean now and i'd bet you'll be alright for a good while just keep puttin seafoam in the next few fillups....

i put 4k on my bike when i did the same thing with the same previous symptems...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement