Something doesn't seem quite right - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Question Something doesn't seem quite right

If I'm not mistaken, we should have a 3.5 gallon tank right?

So I'm on my way back from my dad's house and while coming out of a rather sharp turn, the bike starts to act like it's running out of gas. I look down and the gas gauge is awfully close to the red line, so I kicked it over to reserve. I was only 10-15 miles from the home so I figured I could wait to stop until I was closer to home. Well a mile for the home, the bike starts acting like it's out of gas again and as soon as I stop at a red light, it dies on me. It started right back up so I whip it in to a gas station real quick before it dies again. The strange thing is, it took only 2.43 gallons.

So my question is, why would the bike start spudering and acting like it's starving for fuel when I should still have a gallon left in the tank?

The had been lined with Kreeme by the PO. Could it be that the moron that did it for him may have not drained all the excess out and there is a good chunk of it sitting in the tank, taking up space?

Anyone have any ideas?

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The way I figur this is that it is 3.4 with no air left in the tank, right? Even if you try to fill completely, you just can't. I again figur that if you fill to the bottom of the matel neck, you are getting close to 3 gallons in it. imo.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 PM

The first time I put mine on reserve, I found out there isn't one. My tank was also Kreemed by PO at stealership. Haven't pulled it yet, but suspect they Kreemed it with the petcock in it and somehow blocked the reserve screen with coating.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
The first time I put mine on reserve, I found out there isn't one. My tank was also Kreemed by PO at stealership. Haven't pulled it yet, but suspect they Kreemed it with the petcock in it and somehow blocked the reserve screen with coating.
I too don't have reserve. My tank is really clean. I beleive that the petcock bleeds past from the lower tube to the carbs.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well after I kicked it over to reserve, it was fine. Then while on reserve, it started acting like it was out of gas again. But like I said, it only took 2.43 to fill it up so I should have had another gallon left.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit

Last edited by VN750_DawgsFan; 09-06-2009 at 08:19 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
I too don't have reserve. My tank is really clean. I beleive that the petcock bleeds past from the lower tube to the carbs.
So you think you are using all the gas in the tank; that the petcock is allowing gas from the lower portion of the tank to flow to the carbs even when the switch is only in the ON position? That might account for the 137 miles I went at 70 mph before I ran out of gas. Don't recall exactly how much gas I put in it when I finally got to a station, but seems it was over 2.5 gallons.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750_DawgsFan View Post
Well after I kicked it over to reserve, it was fine. Then while on reserve, it started acting like it was out of gas again. But like I said, it only took 2.43 to fill it up so I should have had another gallon left.
a lot of times on reserve if never used ... they can hold moisture in the bottom secion of gas i recomend flippin to reserve every coule months with a full tank and let the bottom stuff filter through every so often....

when u were fillin it how far up do u bring the gas to? ive put as much as 3.3 gal of gas into my tank... but i try not to have to take it to reserve...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
So you think you are using all the gas in the tank; that the petcock is allowing gas from the lower portion of the tank to flow to the carbs even when the switch is only in the ON position? That might account for the 137 miles I went at 70 mph before I ran out of gas. Don't recall exactly how much gas I put in it when I finally got to a station, but seems it was over 2.5 gallons.
Yes, Sr. Cause I have run out of gas depending on the reserve. I checked the petcock it is clean of trash. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeeare View Post
a lot of times on reserve if never used ... they can hold moisture in the bottom secion of gas i recomend flippin to reserve every coule months with a full tank and let the bottom stuff filter through every so often....

when u were fillin it how far up do u bring the gas to? ive put as much as 3.3 gal of gas into my tank... but i try not to have to take it to reserve...
Usually to about as full as is recommended (the gauge sometimes reads a little over full once I start it back up). I rarely ever need to use reserve, usually fill up once the gauge reads 1/4 of a tank. Every so often I'll switch it over to reserve for a 10-15 miles while I have a full to half of a tank to get any crap out of the bottom and use seafoam about every 3rd or 4th fill up.

I would say that this (2.43 gallons) is the most I've ever had to put in it to fill it up. That's why I say something has to be wrong, after having to switch over to reserve because the gauge is reading empty, I should have had one gallon of gas left, but after only going 10 miles on reserve the bike starts to act like I'm out of gas again, when I should have been able to go at least 30-40 miles on reserve.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
DEKA battery
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
next time u get a low tank and check the screens in the petcock... i can usually get to 3 gal in the tank if i had just switched to reserve? how many miles had u gone when u put 2.4 gal in the tank? did u swish the bike back and forth and listen for gas? is your reserve hose pinched?

last check pull the lines of the tank and apply vac to the vac port on the petcock switch to reserve and switch to on and make sure u have flow when u switch to reserve...
to me 2.3 gal u should just be gettin to your reserve and if i had to guess (no earshave) u were probably around 120 miles

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement