Just Given A Vulcan - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Just Given A Vulcan

My dad's 1990 Vulcan 750 was just been passed down to me . That's the good, the bad is it has been sitting for 5 years give or take a year. Upon opening the airboxes not only were the filters turned to oily mush but one airbox had a mouse nest in it! Now, I've done all the routine things or so I think, replaced all four spark plugs, changed the oil and filter, new battery, etc. With still no sign of starting, I took off the gas tank for easier access to the carbs (didn't really help). Here's my first question with the gas tank off the bike and in the air, with fuel in the tank and the fuel on/off turned to on or reserve, shouldn't gas come pouring out one of or both of the nipples that go to the carbs? Whenever I was younger and pulled a tank off my dirtbike or something, turning the fuel on off with nothing connected obviously resulted in fuel coming out the nipple on the on/off. So that's my first question, I hope yall understood! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The petcock has a vacuum accuated valve...which means there has to be something "Sucking" on one of those hoses for fuel to flow. When the bike is running , there is hose coming off one of the carbs that applies the needed vacuum to open the valve.

You should have noticed that there are 3 hose to the petcock and there are two carbs...so one is the vacuum line.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The petcock has a vacuum accuated valve...which means there has to be something "Sucking" on one of those hoses for fuel to flow. When the bike is running , there is hose coming off one of the carbs that applies the needed vacuum to open the valve.

You should have noticed that there are 3 hose to the petcock and there are two carbs...so one is the vacuum line.

KM
I figured it was something like that, just wanted to make sure before I go putting the whole thing back together, thank you.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Buy some SEAFOAM and put it in the tank and in the Carb Bowl, it will clean the varnish that has built up over the years and clean the system. you can get it at most Wal Marts or at Avance Auto Parts. About $8-9.00 a can but worth every penny and more. Use it regularly, once a month to keep it running like new and clean. Lots of help on here to get her running. My 1993 sat for 10 years and I got it going in no time with the help of this forum. Did the spine lube and other assorted stuff and it is running like new!

Congratulations, you were given a special bike that will you absolutely will love riding.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness muffinman. The vacumn line on the petcock is the middle one. You wil see in my sig line that I have a `91 vn. The `90 and `91s have the same paint scheme - Maroon (although it looks almost black to me) and Cosmic Splendor Red. There is some disagreement on the forum about the following statement, but the 1990 an`91 colors ARE the fastest. LOL.

Check out the TEN THINGS link below for ideas for other things to check out on the bike.

Take a good look at your tires. Look for sidewall checking or cracking and "dry rot". Even ones that look brand new can be dangerous if they are several years old. Here is a link to a thread where they give info on how to find and read the date code on your tires. I wouldn`t ride too far, or too fast on tires that have been sitting for 5 years.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ire+date+codes

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-04-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement